Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Notgeld Collector Of 46 Years, From Uk.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 339 / Views: 10,655Next Topic
Page: of 23
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
541 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This 'encased postage'notgeld piece was issued in Magdeburg:

Learn More...
United States
87873 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
541 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes indeed - here is the reverse side for you to see:

It mentions 'Kohlen' (coal) and 'Brennstoffe aller art' translates as 'all kinds of fuel'.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
541 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to say.....
These pieces were usually issued by private shop keepers or businesses and will usually date from 1920. They are 'private verkehrsausgaben' notgeld types! Quite scarce and usually around the 75 euros to 100 euros starting prices, with rarer types being more expensive. I only had a couple of these types in my collection of over 20,000 different.............so yes, quite scarce and fairly hard to come-by pieces.
Learn More...
United States
87873 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes indeed - here is the reverse side for you to see:
Thank you.

As always, some interesting history with these notes.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
541 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost every note has a story to tell.
I just found these 2 in my stock here:

They look the same.....but their reverse sides are slightly different because of an interesting print allign error.....
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
541 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
United States
87873 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting and nice looking pair.

Perforations say "Not Valid"
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
An interesting and nice looking pair.

I'm guessing that the "Kriegsnotgeld" line was removed very late in the design process, and it was easier to print over it than to delete it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
541 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. I have had maybe 20 or 30 of these pieces and the design always has the 'Kriegsnotgeld' line shaded out. It only became visible because of the mis-alligned printing. The date of issue ('15 Oktober 1918') was so close to the end of the Great war.......but they weren't to know that (Kaiser Wilhelm abdicated on 9 November and Germany signed an armistice on 11 November 1918, effectively ending the war), that they couldn't redesign the note and had to 'erase' it some how. One would never have seen the words without the print error. I really do wonder though, if any of these notes were issued without the 'erasing' having been put in place.........
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
541 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One other thing to tell you - the 'A.S.R.BR.' on the front of the note opposite the serial number stands for 'Arbeiter- und SoldenRat Braunschweig' (worker and board member of the Braunschweig 'Finanzkollegium' (finance college) that issued the note.
The 'A.S.R.BR' can be on the left side or the rightside, so look out for that if you are collecting.
I'll put the actual issuer in my specific issuer post, later!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8825 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never need an excuse to look at Serienscheine & Notgeld. Spent a while going back through this thread (which I haven't seen before) so thank you for sharing!

My collection is small (less than 200 pcs.) but I enjoy it.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
541 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@paralyse - great. Comments like this keep me happy and posting!! I always try and add snippets of info to keep up the interest hopefully. If you have any specific questions about notgeld, just ask.
That goes for anyone reading this post - I aim to please.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
541 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  08:05 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 'typical' colourful and interesting set of 6 from 'Altenwerder und Finkenwaerder':

Read more about them in my book 'GERMAN GEMS', that I am selling on eBay. (My 3 notgeld books are on my very top post of this article). GERMAN GEMS is the 'encyclopedia of German notgeld'. It can't possibly contain all notgeld issues but does try and explain almost everything you need to know about notgeld and what to look out for.
Learn More...
United States
87873 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a 'typical' colourful and interesting set of 6 from 'Altenwerder und Finkenwaerder':
Nice set!
Page: of 23 Previous TopicReplies: 339 / Views: 10,655Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05