Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Notgeld Collector Of 46 Years, From Uk.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 527 / Views: 17,122Next Topic
Page: of 36
Learn More...
United States
92152 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is the last example of these types I will show you... So this piece has all YELLOW ('YYYYY') and no orange ('O')!
Excellent! That is a nice set.

Quote:
Here is a hyper-inflation piece from Atona, dating of course from late 1923:
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*Altona* - my post has it spelt incorrectly.
The note looks more like a German State issue. It is obviously a banknote. But some banknote collectors don't seem to count notgeld issues as genuine banknotes........which is a real shame. I think they are missing out on a whole 'genre' of notes........emergency issues. Of course one can have the argument of usage and reason for issuing etc etc, and even the issuing body.....but these pieces tell a story of the economic hardships of the times. They are all historical documents, in my mind. A real phenomenon that actually happened because there was a need for it to happen.
(Sorry guys - just had an email in from someone saying 'these are not real banknotes' - as you can see from all these postings I make.....education, education, education.)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another notgeld issued in Altona:

It might look a bit 'odd' as it has an issue date of 1922.
What do you think?
Learn More...
United States
92152 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are all historical documents, in my mind. A real phenomenon that actually happened because there was a need for it to happen. (Sorry guys - just had an email in from someone saying 'these are not real banknotes' - as you can see from all these postings I make.....education, education, education.)
Well said.

Quote:
Here is another notgeld issued in Altona:
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @jbuck. The last Altona note from 1922 had an original face value of 500 marks only &

The 'tausend' overprint, making the face value 500,000 was added in 1923
Learn More...
United States
92152 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 'tausend' overprint, making the face value 500,000 was added in 1923
Very interesting! Hyperinflation in action.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recycling in action
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3264 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very neat! Reminds me of the Transnistrian 10000 ruble notes, which were similarly overprinted from 1 and 10 rubles.
I think I've seen some other similar issues? Don't recall the details offhand.

I hope to get some hyperinflation-era notgelds in my collection eventually, but they appear to be very expensive. (I did buy about 70 different cheap-ish notgelds a few weeks ago, but IIRC they were all denominated in pfennigs.)
Learn More...
United States
92152 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a picture of the 'original' note with no overprint:

For these examples, the overprint isn't as obvious as most.......which tend to have a great big coloured diagonal overprint. I'll show a couple of examples next.....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4556 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More interesting examples since my last visit to this thread
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
92152 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a picture of the 'original' note with no overprint:
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  09:02 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys for the responses.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
644 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  09:08 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good example of what I would call a 'typical' OVP (overprint):

The original date of issue matches the original face value which was pretty high even then - 50,000,000m.
The overprint to 500,000,000....that raised its value to 10 times its original one, will have been actioned later on in the 1923 year.......probably October I think.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4556 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is what I usually expect to see from an overprint. The one you have earlier is certainly more subtle in how the did the overprint. I think I like the subtle one more.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Page: of 36 Previous TopicReplies: 527 / Views: 17,122Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05