Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

German Notgeld Collector Of 46 Years, From Uk.

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely! I have always felt that if this phenomenon had happened in England, that would have be so great for collectors here in the UK. All the small villages and parishes.............issuing notgeld - I would have been in collector heaven

Brexit - we have left the EU but not Europe. Only time will tell if we have done the right thing or not. Personally, I think we have
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a piece that could be split in half. Issued in Groemitz which was an East sea port (Ostseebad):

Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Absolutely! I have always felt that if this phenomenon had happened in England, that would have be so great for collectors here in the UK. All the small villages and parishes.............issuing notgeld - I would have been in collector heaven
I can imagine!

Quote:
Here is a piece that could be split in half. Issued in Groemitz which was an East sea port (Ostseebad):
Very nice! I have come to like these ones that can be fractioned, but remain intact.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  07:07 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the 'splittable' pieces had perforations where they could be split, (Ballenstedt, below) whilst others would have needed cutting (Poessneck, front and back below):

Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some of the 'splittable' pieces had perforations where they could be split, (Ballenstedt, below) whilst others would have needed cutting (Poessneck, front and back below):
Ah. Like postage stamps. I dabbled in stamps back in the early 1980s. I have a few intact sets and that is the familiarity I was sensing.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Ballenstedt pieces would be about the same size as a 'stamp'and look like them. The other pieces wouldn't have the perforation edges. These pieces were never issued to go into circulation though. That's why you see unfamiliar face values like 75pf and the like..... Tomorrow I will post some 'stamp like pieces.....
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An unusual pack of 100 notgeld from Solnhofen with wrapper:

Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  07:17 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another good graphic on the reverse of this 10 BILLIONEN mark note from Kaiserslautern:

The note features in my notgeld website article 'Torture & Punishment'
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  06:31 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most notgeld collectors would love to have pieces like this in their collections. Made from playing cards, they are known as 'spielkarton notgeld':

Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  06:41 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

These 4 pieces were issued by 'Gustav Habeck' of Stralsund and date from 1920/21. Several different cards were used so the collector might come across different coloured backs of cards........blue, grey/black, brown, red.....
Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  11:00 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's happening here? A man kissing his own rear! .......well not exactly.......

Apparently, this man is biting his own rear. Its a bit like missing a golden opportunity and us Brits saying.....'I could have kicked myself!' The Germans have an idiom and this displays it pictorially. "sich in den Arsch beissen" (to bite oneself in the rear)

You learn something new every day with notgeld!!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rhyme (trying to keep the metre) loosely translates as :

'We bite our own rears in rage and regret
for the evil begotten through envy and hate.
O that we were spared our present foul state
But biting our rears is a measure too late!
'

The sentiment is: The fruits of hatred and envy now cause us great regret. You can see the evidence of this in these our current times. O that we might have been spared this long before! Its about the German People, Economy and History. The note dates from 1921.
Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
397 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck - thanks. Almost every piece of notgeld.......and there are thousands upon thousands of different pieces........has a story to tell..........
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05