Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Would Like Everyones Opinion On This

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  3:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Scotland 1542-58 Bawbee

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2985 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat coin. Is there a specific question?

And the mods might move it to the British subforum to get the right eyes on it.

I don't know this type at all, but one thing I notice when I search in CoinArchives or Numista is that I didn't see any other examples with empty fields around the cross reverse.

Edit: There is also something going on left of the crown & thistle that breaks up the M, and makes the beaded circle mis-aligned, but I've seen stuff like this on other hammered coins of this era.
Edited by tdziemia
01/21/2020 5:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coach I had no idea where to post this. I guess I would like to get a idea of value
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2985 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This search brought up examples of bawbees of both both James and Mary that have sold recently:
https://www.coinarchives.com/w/resu...&results=100

The obverse legend on yours, ending in REGINA SCOTORV makes it like Spink 5432, but this type should have two cinquefoils either side of the cross. Maybe someone who actually has a catalog will see this post :
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces17993.html
Edited by tdziemia
01/21/2020 5:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again. I need to learn all the resources available.
Learn More...
United States
22823 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin, don't see many coins from medieval Scotland.
Learn More...
United States
14857 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe someone who actually has a catalog will see this post

Well my Seaby is from 1984 and I would agree that it is attributed as #5432. The description is "Crowned thistle dividing MR" and "Plain saltire cross through crown, cinquefoil each side, OPPIDVM EDINBVRGI". A subtype with a voided cross is #5433, but that is not what you have. I agree that your coin does not have these six-sided stars on either side of the crown and I'm not sure what to make of this omission.

Here is a link to a Bawbee in inferior condition, but with the cinquefoils:

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=...searchtype=2

I'd estimate that somewhere in the range of $95 to $150 is a reasonable value--maybe a smidge more because it is entombed.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7565 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For #5432, the more modern 2015 Spink Catalog gives a value of 30 pounds in F, and 125 pounds in VF.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2985 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that's consistent with the CoinArchives link that shows an S5432 graded by the seller (Noble) at Good Fine selling at $85 (120 AUD), and another graded "toned VF" (V auctions) selling at $215 US.

I'd put this example somewhere between on grade. Not sure what the slab says... Probably VF?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF-45 Thanks everyone
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05