Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Denier Of Godefroid III Of Leuven 1164-1183

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 330Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3747 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  4:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One theme in my collection is a OFER (one from every reign) for the Duchy of Brabant.
Technically, the first Duke of Brabant was Henry I, who ascended the throne on the death of Godefroid in 1190, after Barbarossa elevated this collection of small principalities to Duchy status in 1183. But the same dynasty had ruled the same lands earlier, usually bearing combined titles as Counts of Leuven, Landgraves of Brabant, and Dukes of Lower Lotharingia.
Godefroid III was the last of these rulers, though his descendants would hold the throne as Dukes/Duchesses (yes, there was one) of Brabant for nearly 250 years, until it passed to the Dukes of Burgumdy in 1430.

Description of this denier won in Elsen's December auction is "obv: dragon left, head to right; rev: cross with two pellets and two crosslets. Legend of four crosslets and 4 Ns." Ghyssens p.5, 2. Plate II, fig. 4.

Edited by tdziemia
01/21/2020 4:11 pm
Learn More...
United States
23222 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin and interesting history
Learn More...
United States
17159 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice Denier, although the surface is quite rough. Do you think it spent extended time in water?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3747 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question. I don't have enough experience with coins like this to say.
I would add it is a type I don't recall seeing before, though I am not as familiar with these early deniers as the more common ones starting with Henry I. 4 of them showed up in the same auction, similar condition ... maybe part of a small hoard?
Edited by tdziemia
01/21/2020 9:36 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 330Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05