Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sextus Pompey Ae As - I'm Excited

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
607 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  9:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Took a chance and bought this coin without knowing the value. I know Vcoin sellers are a bit pricey, but after checking similar examples, I may have got a good deal for under $30. Next to buying a fake, overpaying hurts -especially for a famously frugal gentleman like myself.

Information that was with the coin. If anyone has any additional information about the coin, that would be great.

Sextus Pompey As, minted in Spain or Sicily between 46 and 43 BC
OBV: Head of Janus, bearing the features of Pompey Magnus (The Great)
REV: Prow of Galley
-----

A general of the Roman Republic, Sextus Pompey was the final opposition to the Second Triumvirate. He witnessed his defeated father's murder during the civil wars of the First Triumvirate. He fought against Julius Caesar up until his assassination and continued to oppose his heir Octavian and Marc Antony until he was finally defeated for good at the Battle of Naulochus and escaped to what is now Turkey. He was recognized and capture in Miletus in 35 BC and executed by order of Antony. The remaining Triumvirs could now focus on the rivalry between each other, of which Octavian would be victor and become Emperor.

Edited by travelcoin
01/25/2020 9:46 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
146 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like the coins with the prow of a galley and have a few, but haven't come across one like this though. I reckon you got a bargain.

I really like the head of Janus on the obverse too. Nice one.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
4701 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coin, TC. You don't mention size - I assume around 30mm?
Pillar of the Community
United States
607 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob, I don't have the coin in hand yet. Once I do, I'll measure and weigh it up.
Learn More...
United States
22811 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find, well worth the price. Not sure if it's listed in Crawford but encase you don't have a copy here is a link: http://davy.potdevin.free.fr/Site/crawford1.html
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14749 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really like the head of Janus on the obverse too.

I think that a Janus head is on @pepactonius' 2020 buy list too...
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
607 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think buying a fairly common Republican Janus & Prow would go along great side-by-side with this example. A good contrast in the style of the imagery.

I'm on the hunt!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1721 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@travelcoin....A good looking coin I do like the Spanish mint style.

Nice pick up.....And good luck on the hunt for the Republican...

Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
3079 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a genuine "steal" !
Now the problem you will have is finding another without paying more
Nice green color too
Could be one of those much better in hand varieties
I'll bet a dollar the pic doesn't do it justice
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
607 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like a genuine "steal" !
Yeah, I'm finding thought out, but had no idea at the time. Sometimes you have to take a chance. I remember trying to haggle a price for a gorgeous VF Nero denarius that was already being offered for an incredible bargain and before I could close the deal, someone came right in and snatched it.

Lesson learned

Don't worry FVRIVS I'm cheap enough to wait around for another bargain, but I have little doubt that I'll be paying more.
Pillar of the Community
United States
607 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seller just contacted me with added information about the coin.

It was actually once part of the famous "RBW Collection", one of the largest and most complete private Roman Republic Coin collections ever. It was in a lot auctioned off by Numismatic Ars Classica in Zurich in 2004 (Lot 6124).

It was then acquired by the seller a few years ago from Biblical coin author David Hendin.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14749 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice provenance!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05