Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

February 2020 RCM Release

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Canada
365 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@atticguy

Quote:
I've always thought a half ounce of gold is half the price of a full ounce. I am confused with this. (sorry!)

I understand the confusion... The unit of measure for gold & silver is the troy ounce. Everything is quoted based on the troy ounce. However, like everything else, the more you purchase of a product, the less the cost to you.

I looked at the bullion page for my favourite dealer here in Vancouver and the difference in price between an ounce and fractional ounces is noticable.

e.g.
- 1/2 oz = 5% premium per ounce
- 1/4 oz = 7% premium per ounce
- 1/10 oz = 11% premium per ounce
- gram = 17% premium per ounce.

That means that if you want to buy 10 of the 1/10 ounce maples, it will cost you 11% more than a single 1 ounce maple (2,381.60CAD vs 2,139CAD)

It also works in reverse for larger quantities but not as dramatically... a 5 oz bar is 0.4% less than a 1 oz bar... 1 10oz bar is 0.7% less and a kg bar is 1.1% less.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6585 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Blast news (from the other resource)

[people here also have to be aware]

5oz Maple leaves in motion - Rhodium & Gold plated Silver $50 Face, $579.95 Mintage 1,000 - SOLD OUT without reaching general public

1oz Silver Pysanka - $20 Face, $129.95 Mintage 5,000 - 80% sold prior even reaching general public
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4266 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm down to needing just 42 quarters (all types: circulated, proof, specimen, commemorative, mules, etc.) to have EVERY Canadian quarter ever made.

@atticguy: An impressive collecting effort. Congrats!

I'm curious, how many different quarters are there?

Edited by commems
02/02/2020 6:47 pm
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2020  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote: I'm down to needing just 42 quarters (all types: circulated, proof, specimen, commemorative, mules, etc.) to have EVERY Canadian quarter ever made.

I was holding my comment because it is not on the main topic of this thread.
But since the discussion has already started I would like to say "Wow"! It is very impressive.
I am also collecting Canadian 25 cents coins, buy I do not even dream of ever completing it.

Quote: I'm curious, how many different quarters are there?

By my count there are close to 800 Canadian coins with 25 cents denomination.
That includes all design/finish/composition combinations of circulation and NCLT coins.
Plus well-known varieties and mules. It does not include minor varieties or any errors.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4455 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2020  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are those wicked 2000P caribou and creativity types, also welcome !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4266 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
By my count there are close to 800 Canadian coins with 25 cents denomination.

Wow! 800 individual 25-cent pieces! That would make for quite a collection.

The number makes my count of 142 for Canada's various 36 millimeter NCLT silver dollars seem almost small in comparison. (You can see the breakdown here: Silver Dollars "By The Numbers".)

I may have to spend some time with my Charlton Catalogue and determine how many 36 mm SDs were issued prior to 1971 and the advent of the RCM's NCLT program for the denomination.

Edited by commems
02/04/2020 11:00 am
Valued Member
Canada
365 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ commems

Good luck with developing a count of 36mm SDs prior to 1971. The 2012 Charlton Volume 1 is a great resource for the circulating Silver Dollars... It lists all Obverse and Reverse varieties with identification methods the only real thing missing is the matrix of Obverse/Reverse combinations. That renders it very difficult to come up with a total variety count over the 28 years of issue (1935-1967). 1968-1970 did not see a 36mm SD issued, only the 32mm Nickel Dollar.

You also need to decide which varieties you want to chase... Personally, I don't include the "HP doubling" nor the Alignment varieties. I also exclude the JOP stamps which I consider PMD though Charlton does list these as varieties.

So depending on what you choose to include, your count will range from a minimum of 28 (year set) through 66 ( my current target) or even 80+

Valued Member
Canada
211 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to CC&C, I received the Maple Leaves in Motion coin today, with a low COA in 90s. Took some pictures for you:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4266 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@YesOrNo: Great looking coin! The silver and gold on black really works.

Thanks for sharing - it's nice to see the actual coin!

Congrats on the purchase!

Valued Member
Canada
211 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you @commems. I like this coin too :)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
613 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those who picked up the Numistastic set. Does anyone else think the "BU" Quarter is nothing more than a business strike.

It doesn't have the same look as "BU" Quarters from the past (pre-2010) with the thick rims.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4266 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone else think the "BU" Quarter is nothing more than a business strike.

I don't own the set, but from reading the RCM web site and the images of the set's packaging, the Brilliant Uncirculated quarter is just a "hot of the press" business strike. It's not supposed to be a special collector version of the coin.

Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mooincow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, here was a new coin that sold out in 5min

3.5 oz. Pure Silver Coin - Multilayered Polar Bear - Mintage: 279 (2020)
$799.95

nice mintage#
Valued Member
Canada
436 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mooincow

RE:3.5 oz. Pure Silver Coin - Multilayered Polar Bear.

Where was this coin being sold?

Edit:
Just checked the RCM and it was sold out. I didn't get any notification on this coin. So much for being a Master club member. Why only 279 mintage? anyone know.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Edited by jimper
02/11/2020 12:14 pm
Valued Member
Canada
365 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why only 279 mintage?

I think it is a reflection of the fact that the coin is brutally expensive. @ $228/oz CAD it is approaching 10x bullion. I get that it is a nascent technology and they have to recover the cost of new tooling and the R&D but that kind of price is going to have a limited appeal and the RCM was probably hedging bets on whether this was going to sellout. Obviously the lower the mintage, the higher the probability of a sellout.

I applaud the RCM for their inventiveness and what they are doing with silver... Some of this work is stunning. I just wish they didn't only make coins. Carousels, jigsaw puzzles, cutouts are great ornaments or collectibles without the monarch's face and a denomination. The French mint (Monnaie de Paris) has a roaring trade in jewelry, tokens and medals. Not all products are legal tender, the RCM should evaluate whether there is a market for RCM product that is not coin (or bullion).
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05