Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Been Offered A Coin From A Detecting Buddy, Need ID Please.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 440Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1290 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  10:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The pictures are all I have at the moment, not got coin in hand but would like to know if someone can give me more details about it. When I first saw it I thought Roman republic, but after looking at the pics a bit more I am not so sure. The coin measure about 15 mm, don't have the weight as of yet.
Any thoughts welcome & thank you in advance.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5272 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Roman Republican. Definitely jugate, serrate (barely visible on the edge - quite worn), with a reverse caduceus at left of two figures clasping hands.

This would be my search at acsearch.info: https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...usd&company=

If the link doesn't work, the terms are: republic jugate denarius clasping caduceus

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1290 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bob. The link was perfect.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3225 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd though
All the examples are serrate and measure 18-20mm
I can see regular marks on the edge of the coin
As if it had been filed back to round ? Down to 15mm ?
That did strike me as a bit small
Perhaps someone had set it long ago into a ring or necklace
People did stupid things 100 years ago when these could be bought for little money
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
People did stupid things 100 years ago when these could be bought for little money

Not to mention 2000 years ago when these could be had at face value. There is also a possibility that it is a cast counterfeit. Clay molds can result in shrinkage.
Edited by Kushanshah
02/10/2020 8:02 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 440Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05