Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Rarely Buy On Ebay But...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,030Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2165 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  9:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I needed the WP and P Canadian small cents to fill in the Canada small cents album. One of the sellers had almost all so I ordered from him. It cost about $20 to get most of the coins I needed. His tracking said I would get them by 2/7. So on 2/7 they didn't come so I waited till Tuesday when they didn't come on Tuesday I sent him a message stating I didn't get them. He sends me a message that they put in the wrong shipping speed and that I should get it by 2/14. No biggy the coins are coming from Canada. I sent him a message saying thank you and no worries. I get the coins today so I gave him a positive rating and a good review and I send him a message telling sorry for bothering him, the coins came in today and they were perfect.

He tells me I'm the most honest person he dealt with, he adds into the sale price a premium as many people say they never receive the coin and that he was going to mail me a few for free as so many people are crooks. I find that hard to believe but I maybe wrong as I never sell anything that people paid for without tracking. So for someone that sells a lot on eBay is that true? Do people try to get stuff for free after the sale?
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2958 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
unfortunately in canada for me to send 100 grams, to the USA with tracking is about 16$, where in the USA you can send the same across the USA for less than 3$.. there are some USA buyers, who abuse the system.. who accept an item being sent without tracking, then claim they never received it..
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
unfortunately in canada for me to send 100 grams, to the USA with tracking is about 16$, where in the USA you can send the same across the USA for less than 3$..

Not with tracking.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2713 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not with tracking

Depending on where you're shipping to, a first class package with tracking can be less than $3. Pay through PayPal.
Edited by WheatBack
02/12/2020 11:17 pm
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Depending on where you're shipping to, a first class package with tracking can be less than $3. Pay through PayPal.

True but how his post was worded sounded like he was talking about Canada to the USA and vice versa. An international letter from the USA is like 2.50ish but there's no tracking.

Rereading it id does seem more like he was comparing international system to USA domestic shipping where USA international are some of the highest rates in the world from the postal agreements
Pillar of the Community
United States
3382 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a similar story: A few years ago, I bought a slabbed proof KHD tracking showed "delivered in mailbox" I checked-not there, next day checked again-nothing, emailed seller and he told me "no problem, open ebay case for refund", I did and he refunded my money. A little over a week later one of my neighbors said to me "I have some of your mail" yep it was the coin, so I contacted the seller for him to re-bill me, he was amazed and told me to just keep it. I told him I wouldn't feel right about it and if he could charge me $16.95 for my next coins shipping charge, he said OK and he did...But he sent me 2 extra Proof KHDs.. with a hand-written note saying for my honesty "please enjoy the extra coins and lets consider the case closed " From time to time I still buy coins from him, and he always includes an extra coin (nothing big) but super cool
Edited by Greasy Fingers
02/13/2020 12:26 am
Learn More...
United States
88841 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad you had a positive experience.

I have never bought from a seller outside the US, so I cannot comment from that point of view, but I have never received a free gift from an eBay seller. However, I have bought from CCF members and many of them have thrown in a bonus or two.
Learn More...
United States
27055 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  09:52 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have sent out hundreds of (low value) coins without tracking and not one single person claimed to not receive them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19423 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So few nice ending stories about purchases on ebay. I never buy anything on ebay but if I could find sellers like talked about here, I might try it.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, if I'm selling a lower costing coin, I do free shipping, just put a stamp on it and I don't do tracking. I figure if something happens I can afford to eat the cost. When the value of the coin gets to a certain level (as defined by my gut), I start to charge for shipping and do tracking.

I've only had two incidents when selling. The first one was early on and I didn't pack the coins well. So the mail machine ate the envelope. The recipient offered to send pics of the envelope, but I just refunded his money without question. I had one other with a couple Mercury dimes that got lost and I just refunded the money as well.

Not coins, but a few years back I bought my daughter (who swam the backstroke for the high school swim team) a funny tshirt: "T-Rex hates backstroke" (because of those little T-Rex arms). It didn't show up and the tracking had it going to the wrong part of the country then disappearing. So, they send me a free tshirt in time for Christmas. At the end of January, I get the original tshirt in the mail. I contact the company to see if they want me to ship it back and they told me to just keep it. Very nice of them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2165 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From reading here I get the feeling that people on CFF are honest but we could also be weeding out the "yep I state I never get anything so I can get stuff for free" people ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2165 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy coffee from a local roaster. I buy about $80-$100 each time I order. Once they had a special and I ordered about $150 in coffee beans. The UPS guy shows up, I get the emails it's delivered and go out less than a minute later. No coffee, nothing. I check the doorbell camera, see the ups stop and leave but drop off nothing at my house. Call the coffee company, I've been buying for years never had an issue. He apologizes and offers to send another package next day. I say sure. At night my neighbor drops off my coffee. Ups guy gave it to him by mistake with his packages. I call the company and tell them that my neighbor got the package. He says thank you and doesn't offer anything , not that I expected it. A few weeks later I place an small order and when I get it, I get a warming carafe, nuts, granola, dried fruit and a pound of real Kona coffee (sells for $40 a pound) with a note saying "thank you for being a good customer"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone wants to tell us how they say they never got anything so they can get it for free, let me first say one thing ...... You have the right to remain silent. If you give up this right, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you can't afford one, one will be appointed for you.
Valued Member
Canada
485 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far I've never had any issues buying or selling on eBay. One time buying something from Russia, the coin hadn't come after over a month. The seller refunded me, but then the coin came the next week and I paid the money back to the seller. One time I had a buyer tell me that the coins I sold him weren't real silver. I assured him that they were and suggested he go get them tested if he was in doubt. That seemed to satisfy him.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3622 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I "lose" maybe 1 out of 100 shipments without tracking. So I would not call that "a lot of people." Last one was in December (domestic). The only one I have lost shipping overseas went to Malaysia, which is a place many sellers will not ship to (so I guess I learned why).

Above $20 I always ship with tracking, so the ones I lose are low value items (coins and baseball cards ... guess I've lost about equal numbers of each).

I have no idea if it is a dishonest buyer, or truly something that went lost, but I always put the buyer on my blocked list because I just don't like the hassle and the potential ding to my reputation on eBay.

Edited by tdziemia
02/14/2020 07:19 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,030Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05