Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

# 52 Of My Silver Dollars For Grading 1884 O Morgan

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  6:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another one I graded around 3 years ago. I'm wondering now if I didn't sell myself on this dollar short. I thought it was wear I saw, but could it just be a weak strike?

What do you think?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44937 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with AU-58. Nice example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8257 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 84(O) can be a little soft to average in strike. this one is closer to the later. AU58
Pillar of the Community
United States
1757 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7997 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless the photos show two different coins, this is an 1884 Philadelphia. If so, it is a very weak strike for the date.

I have a few questions about your coin.
There appears to be a die scratch from the lower left leg of the "A" in DOLLAR Northwest to the first leaf cluster to the right of the bow. Would you be willing to post a clear photo of that area to confirm (or rule out) the die scratch?
There appears to be a weak or polished figure-8 shaped die clash halfway between the "E" of ONE and the "D" of DOLLAR, but closer to the denticles than ONE DOLLAR. Would you be willing to post a clear photo of that area to confirm (or rule out) the die clash?
Does your coin have a rotated die?
What is the weight of your coin?

Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unless the photos show two different coins, this is an 1884 Philadelphia. If so, it is a very weak strike for the date.

I have a few questions about your coin.

Yes, it's a P. And P and O are next to each other on the keyboard and it looks like I missed. I've also learned that no edits after 24 hours are allowed, so it must stay an O.

As to your questions and asking for photos. I hope the photos help, they've certainly got me intrigued.

Under a loop it looked to me to be a faint figure 8 at first, even maybe a dollar sign, but after the photos, it looks like an A like in the word DOLLAR not a figure 8, and to the left of it between the N and the E, there appears to be part of an L as in DOLLAR as well, and the spacing between the faint L and the A is exactly the spacing between the real L and A in DOLLAR.
So what do you think?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
19107 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55 for me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KauaiHawaiiGuy, Thank you for the additional photographs and weight.

What made me pause is that there is a poorly struck known counterfeit 1884 dollar in medal alignment, significantly underweight, with the date die clashed between "E" and "D" of ONE DOLLAR and a die scratch between the second "L" and the "A" of DOLLAR.

Your coin is within weight tolerance and better struck. I suspect it is in coin alignment.

Your coin, however, has the date die clashed between "E" and "D" of ONE DOLLAR, an impossibility without nearly 180 degree misaligned dies. Here is your added photo, with the clashed "18" roughly marked. The die scratch from the "A" of DOLLAR to the leaf is visible, but weak.

As to whether the Chinese counterfeiters would counterfeit a common date circulated Morgan, yes. They counterfeit anything circular and shiny. They have counterfeited common date Buffs, ASEs, Newfoundland 1940s pre-confederation ten cent pieces, and a VAM-correct EF-appearing 1899-O Morgan found in pawn shop junk boxes, each worth under $20 if genuine. They have counterfeited common date Morgans, within weight tolerance, but using Ag plated Sn-Zn cores, and occasionally using 90% silver, making their money by bulk sales on the markup over melt.

Bottom line: I'm not certain that yours is a counterfeit, but I cannot explain the apparent die clash or the unusually weak strike for an 1884 Philadelphia Morgan.

Very interesting coin, indeed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05