Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 P DDO-015 And WDDO-045 Are One And The Same.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1107 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  09:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought I'd fill you in on a doubled eyelid that crosses between DD & VV. For those tracking this sort of thing.
1943p WDDO-045 crosses to DDO-015 stage C.

I was pretty sure I saw a doubled eyelid on a 1943 P I won and when I got it in hand I found a match, including a prominent die crack marker going South, then SE from the E in STATES to the rim. (DDO-015 Stage "B") But the "T" of CENTS on mine had chips instead of just a crack, so a later Stage "C" than the listed at VV.

Next, I went to DD.com to see if I could find a match. One unique feature of my coin was a minimum 6 event reverse clash between the "C" of CENT and the left wheat stem. I found part of the clash in the images for WDDO-045 but Wexler had no cross-reference to VV and didn't show the die crack from the "E" to the rim or the crack on the "T" of CENT.

The doubled eyelid alone wasn't easy to match because of the angle and lighting. The die crack from the "E" to the rim and the multiple clash event is definitely the same die.

The "Gets Better" news is that I got 2 from the same seller!
Enjoy and thanks for looking. PP55

Pillar of the Community
United States
1107 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope everyone enjoyed. I'm wondering if anyone knows of another coin with this many or more clash events?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1175 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one. I'm not sure all the marks you're pointing at are clashed, but 1943s are known for clashes. Heres my best clash.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2244 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Double doubled doubles and a double cross (reference). Double the fun!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43295 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Steelie is showing die scratches on the reverse. The coin looks re-processed. (looks to shiny) MD on the 'U' on TRUST. The pattern of a clash is entirely different for a Wheat cent:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2079 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I wondered the same thing as coop, is this been plated, or just the photography making it look extra shinny?

Nice find! And you also got a 2nd one as well? Wow!
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43295 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lines appear to be raised. So it would be a die issue.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1107 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for taking a look and replies. It has been replated judging from the lack of "rusty" streaks on the edge. Not as bad as some but still re-plated, so an "Unc details" grade at best.

My apologies because I thought I included links:
WDDO-045- http://doubleddie.com/395701.html (Scroll way down)
DDO-015- http://varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20...3PDDO015.htm

Definitely not a typical clash. Wexler states "Remnants of a die clash can be found between the lower C and E in CENT." In hand, the clash also seems to be causing the raised die marks around OF, between AMERICA and the wheat stems and at the N of CENT. My images aren't the best and I wish I could do an overlay to show how things line up with what I can see in hand.

VV makes no mention of a clash.

The marks to the right and below OF appear to be from the curved hairline above his collar.
The marks near the stems seem to be out of place but typical of the back and top of his head.

Here is an image of the "N" of CENT which barely shows his chin. Difficult to get a decent image no matter how I turned it.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05