Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Looks Better In Hand" Phrase Demonstrated. Constantine II Follis

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  8:48 pm Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
You know they say a coin looks better in hand? Well I demonstrate that below with 4 photos. The first two
further away look nearly flawless and that is mostly
how we see and hold coins in our collections.

Constantine II, as Caesar, Nummus. Antioch, AD 321.
CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate and cuirassed bust right / GLORIA EXERCITVS,
two soldiers standing facing one another with spear and shield; between them,
two standards; SMALB in exergue. RIC 87.
18.5 mm, 2.77 grams

Edited by louisvillekyshop
02/17/2020 8:49 pm
Learn More...
United States
22904 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beauty.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, a few blemishes when seen up close. But still real pretty, Joe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
631 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some coins do look better from afar. Although still a beauty.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The older I get, the less I notice at arm's length!
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3005 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The third pic looks flawless enough to me; the fourth looks less like a problem with the coin itself, and more like a slightly blurry photo of what might be a slightly weak strike.

It sure looks flawless in the first two pics, though!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3177 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The older I get, the less I notice at arm's length!

Indeed!

@louisville, beyond your proof of that saying, I wonder how much money has been "lost" by needing to use photos of all those marginally imperfect coins to sell them on platforms like eBay? In the good old days, I bought coins from a description in a price list, with an estimated grade. Now, I can see every little imperfection in the photo that's posted with the listing. Great for buyers...less so for sellers.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another Example:

CRISPUS Follis, 320-321, Aquileia, Caesar under Constantinus I and Licinus I. CRISPVS NOB CAES. Bust with laurel wreath, paludament and tank
on the left. Rs: CAESARVM NOSTRORVM / AQS. Laurel wreath with final medallion,
20.5mm, 2.97 grams

Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty darn good from both distances. I see you collect artifacts too, Joe. (Behind your hand in the first Crispus pic)
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob;

The phone always has and apparently always will work just fine. Dials out no problem. So not collecting artifacts, just not updating. Answering you on an XP driven computer as we speak.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
205 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be very happy if more of my collection looked as good as these two coins. Both are very desirable.

As a buyer I always take "Looks Better In Hand" with a pinch of salt, especially when the image is out of focus, or the lighting is poor. On a few occasions I've taken a chance, as there has been little interest shown probably due to the bad image quality, and the price is low. Mostly I have been pleasantly surprised, as they have been much "better in hand". If these sellers had taken more time with the image quality, they would have made a lot more in the auctions I'm sure.

Jim
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05