Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Build A Compendium Of Saints On Coins: Alphabetical By Issuing Entity.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 221 / Views: 8,178Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3386 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three new saints. Super!

Learn More...
United States
16078 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To compliment @pep's and @tdz's 1500 AD Batzens of Salzburg, here is my own (featuring St. Rupert):

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3386 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I'll complement @spence's medieval St. Matthew with this baroque rendering on a Papal States piastra of 1678

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8384 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
St George --

Russian Empire -- 15 kopeks, 1913:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8384 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Russian Empire -- 10 rubles, 1899:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3386 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold is great, but that 15 kopek coin is pretty incredible, and beautifully photogaphed (as always).

I'm going to build on the eastern European theme (Cyril & Methodius from Slovakia and St George from Russia) with this undated Poland medieval denar (1146-57)with St. Adalbert reverse (or maybe it's his relics?)

Edited by tdziemia
04/02/2020 2:10 pm
Learn More...
United States
16078 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
or maybe it's his relics?

At first I thought it was just a letter T inside a circle. According to Frynas, it is a "head facing within a square".
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3386 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not clear at all to me which is the correct interpretation. I see this often described as just "head inside a square frame," but a couple of the Polish auction houses are more specific about this being an image of Adalbert, or even a reliquary containing his head (for reasons I don't want to imagine, the saint's skull is still separate from the other bits).
Here is a description from an October 2018 auction at Damian Marciniak, (Auction 6, lot 486 https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?lot...lot&sid=2791

The oldest type of Boleslaw Krzywousty denarius, which began its coinage by placing its patron Saint Adalbert on the reverse. As Stanislaw Suchodolski explains, this choice was a manifestation that it was the saint himself who sanctioned the seizure of power.

Obverse: prince on the throne, straight ahead, with a sword in his lap. In the rim:
BOLEZ-LAVS.
Reverse: a square reliquary with a head. In the rim:
S. ADALBERTVS.

Edited by tdziemia
04/02/2020 7:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3386 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another Salzburg coins, but with a twist...
This commemorative 1/2 thaler of 1682 does NOT have ST. Rupert, but shows five saints whose relics are in Salzbug cathedral:
St. Martin of Tours, shown in his bishop's garb instead of on a horse, and with a goose (because that's what is served on his feast day)
St. Vincent who we saw previously on a coin of Berne, and the early martyrs St. Hermes, and Sts. Chrysanthus and Daria.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8384 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
St George, again:

Russian Empire -- 50 kopeks, 1913:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8384 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Russian Empire -- 15 rubles, 1897:

Learn More...
United States
16078 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins so far today. Here is a so-called Square Pfennig from the Swiss Canton of Solothurn featuring St. Ursus. This bracteate is from the late 13th Century and unsurprisingly has the inscription VRSVS (more interesting to me is that the letter Ss are sideways).

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3085 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of Russian Saint George coins here, but all of them show him in the middle of the eagle.

Here's Saint George by himself, without a surrounding eagle, on a mildly scarce 1 kopek coin from 1728...

(I apologize both for the coin quality, and for the photo quality.)

There's a bunch of other saint coins I could have posted previously (and probably a few more that I could have posted later), but none of them photographed, alas.

One type (well, series) I really want to have, but (yet) don't: a 15th century Saint George coin from the Grand Duchy of Moscow, before it became Russia. (At some point they switched from a recognizable Saint George to a generic horseman.)
There's a bunch of those types, but most examples I've seen were far past my budget, and, IIRC, none of the (three or four) 15th century Russian silvers that I did acquire were of this series.

I'm also tempted to post some contemporary portrait coins of eventually-sainted Roman rulers, like Helena... don't think that would be eligible? Don't have any already photographed, anyway.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3386 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This continues to be a great week, with lots of interesting contributions.

Quote:
At some point they switched from a recognizable Saint George to a generic horseman.

Thanks for this lesson on these images in Russian coinage @jan1may

Quote:
I'm also tempted to post some contemporary portrait coins of eventually-sainted Roman rulers, like Helena... don't think that would be eligible?

The rules are pretty loose here, as we see for my post of the maybe-StAdalbert-coin from Poland. I would really like to see the coin you mention.

@spence, thanks for the nice medieval Swiss canton saints of St. Veit and Solothurn this week.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3085 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks for this lesson on these images in Russian coinage @jan1may
An incorrect lesson though - apparently the generic dragon-less horsemen were just a normal feature of Muscovite/Russian coins, while the Saint George scene was a relatively brief mid-15th century innovation.

(Here's one on Numista; catalogs apparently tend to describe those types with wordings along the lines of "horse rider spearing snake", so it might not necessarily be a depiction of Saint George, though if it isn't it looks darn similar.)

By the late 15th century the horsemen aren't even holding spears; in 1535, the spears return for the new larger denomination (and stay there until the end of the series in the late 1710s), but the dragon never appears on the hammered silver again.
Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 221 / Views: 8,178Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05