Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Build A Compendium Of Saints On Coins: Alphabetical By Issuing Entity.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 221 / Views: 7,982Next Topic
Page: of 15
Learn More...
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Denier from the French Priory of Souvigny. My French is poor so I'm still pinning down the exact attribution in Poey d'Avant, but it was minted somewhere in the range of 1080 to 1213 AD. That is St. Mayeul on the front holding the crozier (inscription reads SCS MAILVS).

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coin! So many of these saint-place combinations are local, and as @erafjel pointed out, Royal French coins don't have saints' images (too bad, because we are deprived of St. Denis), so thankfully we have some abbeys/priories in the French world that were minting.
Edited by tdziemia
04/04/2020 08:37 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
278 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence: I would say your coin is Poey d'Avant 2169. Translated description: "Face of St Mayeul, face/front, carrying the crozier on the left. R: Cross with equal branches."
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8314 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One last St George coin from RUssia:

Russian Empire -- 25 kopeok, 1853:

Learn More...
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@erafjel, hey thanks for the help! That does look like a good match to the plate drawing for PdA #2169 shown below.

Any thoughts on the date for this coin? I have seen this listed in books and on the interwebs:

1. 994-1213 AD (PdA)
2. 1080-1213 AD (Roberts)
3. Mid- to late 12th Century (Duplessy)
4. 1180-1213 AD (numista, worldofcoins, cgb.fr)

I understand that much have changed in terms of out knowledge since PdA was published in the mid-19th Century, but I'm puzzled by the closeness in numbers (but not in time) of the two start dates 1080 and 1180 AD. Any thoughts? Thx!

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
278 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry @Spence, no idea about the date. Not that much into feudals, I'm afraid.

Edit: Generally I would put most trust in Duplessy, that being the latest work in the area.
Edited by erafjel
04/04/2020 5:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do find those occasional mismatches in catalog info interesting (this may also be what is going on with interpretation of my Poland coin)

While that gets sorted out, I'll echo @pepactonius' "one more Russia" with a far less lovely "one more Papal States," this battered copper quattrino from 1623, Ferrara mint and St George

Edited by tdziemia
04/04/2020 5:44 pm
Learn More...
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Quattrino @tdz and sorry for the tiny tangent on the dating of my Denier. (Also, thx @erafjel for the advice.)
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was a great week! We now have seen coins with saints' images from 55 different principalities:
Aachen - Charlemagne (2)
Andorra - Charlemagne
Arezzo - St. Donato
Australia - St. George (2)
Bavaria - Mary as Madonna (6)
Berne - St. Vincent
Bingen - St. Martin of Tours
Bohemia - St Adalbert and St. Wenceslas (2)
Brabant - St. Andrew, St. Michael, St. Peter, St. Philip
Bremen - St Wilehad, St. Peter
Brunswick (city) - St. Anne
Brunswick-Lunenburg-Calenberg - St. Andrew
Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hanover - St. Andrew (3)
Canada - St. George (3)
Carmagnola - St. Constanmtius
Constance - St. Conrad
Corvey - St. Vitus
Ferrara - St. George (2), Mary Magdalene, St. Maurelius
France - Gabriel, Mary
Goslar - Sts Simon & Jude, St. Matthias
Gotha - St. Gotthard
Great Britain/U.K. - St. George (12)
Hessen - St Elizabeth of Thuringia
Hildesheim - St. Bernward, Mary as Madonna
Hungary - Mary, Madonna (19), John the Baptist
Iserlohn - St. Pancras
Kempten - Hildegard
Koln - St. Peter (6)
Leignitz-Brieg - St. Peter, St. Hedwig
Limoges - St. Martial
Lucca - St. Martin
Luzerne - St. Leodegar
Mainz - St. Peter (3)
Mansfeld - St. George
Metz - St. Stephen
Milan - St Ambrose (3)
Munster - St. Paul (8)
Naples - St. Michael, St. Gabriel, Mary
Ottingen - St Sebastian (2)
Papal States - St. Bruno, St. George (2), St. Matthew
Parma - St. Thomas
Passau - St. Stephen
Poland - Dt. Adalbert, Jesus
Portuguese India - St. Philip
Ragusa - Jesus(3), St. Blaise(3)
Regensburg - St. Peter(2), St. Wolfgang
Rimini - St. Gaudentius
Russia - St. George(8)
Saint Veit (Carinthia) - St. Veith(2)
Salerno - Sr. Matthew
Salzburg - St. Rupert (7), Mary as Madonna, St. Martin, St. Vincent, St. Hermes, Sts. Chrysanthus & Daria
San Marino - St. Marinus
Slovakia - Sts. Cyril & Methodius
Solothurn -St. Ursus
Souligny Priory - St. Mayeul
South Africa - St. George
United States - St. Eligius

This week we will cover T-U-V, and I hope that some of our modern world coin collectors with Vatican coins may be able to contribute, or it could be kinda slim pickings. We can also look for coins from these places:
Thann - St. Theobald
Trapezunt - St. Eugenius
Trier - St. Helena, St. Peter
Tuscany - St. John the Baptist, Sts Cosmo & Damian, St. Francis, Archangel Gabriel
Ulm - St. George
Urbino - St. Crescentius, St. Francis, St. George, St. James, St. John the Evangelist
Uri - St. Martin
Unterwalden - St. Martin
Venice - St. Mark, St. Justina, Jesus

As always, if you are just joining, feel free to contribute for earlier letters that have already been covered.

Edited by tdziemia
04/05/2020 08:28 am
Learn More...
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry @tdz, but I'm running a little late this am. Here are my last two contributions for last week: a late 18th Century 5 Kopecks and an early 20th century 3 Kopecks from Russia:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a 1585 giulio of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany with images of St. Francis (namesake of the duke, Franceso I Medici) on the right, and St. John the Baptist, patron saint of Florence on the left. St John figures prominently on the coins of this place, from the medieval "florin" to the Renaissance representations on the coins of the Medici dukes

Edited by tdziemia
04/05/2020 08:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8314 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Madonna (St Mary -- maybe this coin should be filed under Hungary?)

Principality of Transylvania -- 1 groschen, 1627:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin! I am fine with having it under T.

Here is another T, this 1678 piastra of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany showing John the Baptist baptizing Jesus

Learn More...
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a pair of early 18th Century 3 Petermengers from the German Archbishopric of Trier. I like the image of St. Peter sitting on a cloud holding his key.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1911 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1929 Vatican City 10 Centesimi St Peter

Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 221 / Views: 7,982Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05