Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Build A Compendium Of Saints On Coins: Alphabetical By Issuing Entity.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 232 / Views: 9,046Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8692 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
St Mark? --

Republic of Venice -- 1 zecchino, 1700-1709:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2102 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1967 Vatican City 500 Lire

St. Peter & St. Paul

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great additions!

Quote:
St Mark?
Certainly! I just don;t know which side I think these Venetian coins usually have St. Mark conferring authority to the doge, but I see the reverse figure holds a book which could also be Mark. Need to do some research. Edit: yes, Mark obv and Jesus rev, normally holding an orb.

@Keith, that is a real beauty!

Here is my only "modern" Vatican coin, with St.Peter reverse

Edited by tdziemia
04/07/2020 06:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will add another Venetian coin, this undated grosso (1289-1311) again with St. Mark obv and Jesus rev.

Learn More...
United States
16415 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one @tdz. I'm really enjoying the Venetian eye-candy, but am saving mine for a little later in the week.

For now, here are a couple coins to wrap up my St. Peter contributions from Trier:

1444 AD:

1599 AD:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 1444 is another beauty for an early dated coin.

Quote:
enjoying the Venetian eye-candy, but am saving mine for a little later in the week.

I've got a good one for Saturday, but have one more before then.
For now I will add a MUCH later Trier St. Peter, this undated (circa 1918?) 10 pfennig Notgeld issue:

Edited by tdziemia
04/07/2020 2:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2102 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1967 Vatican City. 100 Lire. St. Peter again

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8692 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Archbishopric of Trier -- 3 petermenger, 1713:

Must be St Peter
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Keith, you look to be deep in high quality Vatican coins!

Quote:
Must be St Peter

Yeah, based on what I'm seeing here for Trier, it's a one trick pony.
Here's another "two-fer" on a Venice coin, this undated 40 soldi that was minted in 1577. Obv it's Saint Mark again, reverse, St. Justina (Giustina) of Padova.

Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the best of my knowledge:

Papal States (1740-1758) 1 Quattrino, Ravenna mint during Benedict XIV tenure. St. Apollinarus standing with staff on reverse (displayed first)

Edited by otto
04/07/2020 8:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really super addition to the thread @otto. Thanks!

As you can see, obscure saints are more than welcome here (on a personal note, I've visited the famous basilica dedicated to this saint outside of Ravenna).
Learn More...
United States
16415 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple 13th Century Grossi from the Italian City State of Venice. As with the Grosso posted upthread, I think that there is an image of St. Mark on the obv and Jesus on the rev:

1268-1275 AD:

1275-1280 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm especially glad you posted the second one. WHen I looked at the reverse of mine, I was wondering if there was some die defect affecting Jesus' arms (or if he had been doing some serious bodybuilding before sitting for the portrait). Now I see that his garments vary over the years, and this is what I am seeing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8692 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
St. Peter --

Archbishopric of Trier -- 4 pfennig, 1674:

Learn More...
United States
16415 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My last two coins with saints this week are both from late 14th Century Venice, but on opposite sides of the denomination scale. The Soldino is likely slightly earlier than the Ducato and both feature St. Mark.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 232 / Views: 9,046Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05