Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Build A Compendium Of Saints On Coins: Alphabetical By Issuing Entity.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 232 / Views: 9,446Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3605 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful detail on that ducat!
And I think this is our first representation of St. Mark as a lion with a halo, which is common on those small denominations.

I am going to go backward to post a coin I hadn't yet known I'd won when we did J-K-L, this undated (1485-1505) postulatsgulden of the prince-bishopric of Liege, with an image of St. Lambert.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3133 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And I think this is our first representation of St. Mark as a lion with a halo, which is common on those small denominations.
This reminded me that I also have a Venetian small denomination, which in turn reminded me that I've missed a bunch of previous coins for this thread...

...granted, most of them are probably too modern.

Let's go in alphabetical order for now, so B first:

Bulgaria, 1 lev 2002 - St. Ivan of Rila

Obverse: SV. IVAN RILSKI / BULGARIA [in Cyrillic]
Reverse: 1 LEV 2002 [in Cyrillic]
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3605 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@j1m, very glad to see that contribution! I am completely lacking saints of the Eastern church in my collection (except for St. George who was "adopted" by all these places in Western Europe), and I know there are many. I bid on a Bosnian coin at the recent CNG auction, but dropped out when it got too high for me.

Quote:
...granted, most of them are probably too modern.

All dates/ages are welcome! I have posted notgeld coins, and we've seen some mid to late 20th century Vatican, not to mention @pepactonius' George V and George VI sovereigns). I know Joan of Arc has shown up on modern coins, and that somebody on CCF must have one.
Learn More...
United States
16647 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've missed a bunch of previous coins for this thread...

Me too! Now I've got a couple small stacks of Bulgarian and Serbian coins to post.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3605 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The more the merrier (especially appropriate for Holy Week! ).
I've also got one or two oddballs I forgot from earlier weeks.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3133 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Week two, coin two. I'm not actually sure if this should go under D or E, but it's week two either way...

Deutsch-Eylau, West Prussia (now Ilawa, Poland)
10 pfennig (notgeld), 1920
St. Mary as Madonna (barely visible on those pics)

I believe that this is probably my first notgeld with a saint on it.
The depiction is actually far better visible in hand, especially under some angles; some day I might manage to take a better photo.

Not on Numista, though compare this type from the same town (with the same depiction of Madonna).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2242 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
St. Andrew on a Scottish Conder token

St. Mark/Venice

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3605 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice adds! Especially nice to see something Scottish with a St. Andrew.

Quote:
I believe that this is probably my first notgeld with a saint on it.

I would not have any in my collection except for the saints!

Here is one I forgot earlier, from Soest, with an image of St. Patroclus:

Edited by tdziemia
04/09/2020 4:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3133 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Week three, coin three...

Georgia, 10 tetri 1993 - St. Mamai, or more likely St. Mamas

Adapted from a 11th century bas-relief, the reverse supposedly features Saint Mamai [sic] riding a lion.

I wonder whether St. Mamai (of Georgia) was at some point confused with St. Mamas (of Caesarea); the lion-riding depiction is appropriate for the latter.

EDIT: found sources saying that the latter saint is, indeed, the one on the coin. It might just be my confusion. Keeping both links though.
Edited by january1may
04/09/2020 6:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3605 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2020  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great imagery on that coin.
Reading the St. Mamas link, I am reminded of the very elaborate legends associated with some saints. I'm not sure there is any modern equivalent to this.

My last coin of Tuscany is thi6 1601 lira showing the beheading of John the Baptist. Despite the very harsh cleaning it received at some point (and which was less apparent in the auction photos) I'm fond of it for the graphic image.

Learn More...
United States
16647 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two more from Bulgaria; both are from the 14th Century, the likely older one has an image of Jesus, while the younger one has Mary with a Jesus "pendant".

1365-1393 AD:

1371-1395 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3605 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

On the first one, dated 1365-93, it looks like Christ pantokrator (the Byzantine representation of him) in the first image. Presumably that's Mary you mention in the last image (which I assume is something like a Madonna)?
Nice pair of coins showing quite a difference in craftsmanship despite being about contemporaneous,

Speaking of Byzantium ... Jesus, Mary, the archangels, and a few Eastern saints like Theodore show up regularly on their coins. But we flew past B with no contributions
Edited by tdziemia
04/11/2020 12:02 pm
Learn More...
United States
16647 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes, good points. I've got some Serbian coins lined up, but will check through my Byzantines too.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
16647 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, there isn't much to contribute to this thread from my coins of the Byzantine Empire. Here is a 12th Century billon Trachy that I believe depicts Jesus. I've got a few similar pieces, but this one is about as clear as any of them. It is a real challenge for me taking pics of such cup-shaped coins:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3605 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Works for me!
I don't have a coin from this era (yet) but have been slowly trying to learn. The obverse should indeed be an image of Christ pantokrator. The reverse image is sometimes that of a saint crowning the emperor, and as we can see a scepter in the hand of the figure on the left, and a halo on the head of the figure on the right, this is likely a saint. Often it is Mary (my guess in this case). Sometimes it is the archangel Michael (which usually has wings), sometimes it is Saint Theodore who I think carries a sword.

One of these years I will get focused and start doing research on the two I think I would like for my collection: a 1st millenium gold with a nice face of Christ, and one of about your vintage with a St. Theodore.

Edited by tdziemia
04/11/2020 5:15 pm
Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 232 / Views: 9,446Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05