Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Build A Compendium Of Saints On Coins: Alphabetical By Issuing Entity.

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3142 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful! I expect when we get to G for Great Britain we will see more of St. George.

Here is a cornuto form the Italian city-state of Carmagnola, near Turin. The saint on horseback is Saint Constantius, which legend holds was a soldier in the Theban Legion, some (or all) of whom were put to death near today's St. Moritz Switzerland in 286 a.d.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7722 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Australia -- 1 sovereign, 1911:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7722 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Electorate of Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hannover -- 12 mariengroschen, 1703:
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3142 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for those great adds @pepactonius. I will add one more St. Andrew, the undated Brabant florin shown below, 1467-1477 with a more 2-dimensional portrayal of the saint.

And ... a call for a medieval Ancona coin, which I know at least a couple of CCF members have, with a portrait of a saint we haven't seen yet

Edited by tdziemia
02/25/2020 7:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7722 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Electrorate of Bavaria -- 20 kreuzer, 1776:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3142 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bavaria is still on my want list. I've only got teeny madonnas on a couple of Hungarian denars.

Here is St. Vincent on 1 dicken coin from Berne, Switzerland

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7722 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ELectorate of Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hannover -- 2 mariengroschen, 1708:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3142 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another nice St. Andrew. I get confused by which Brunswick- has the wildman, which has St Andrew, and which overlap with both.

My last Brabant contribution is this double esterlin with the Archangel Michael. Saint Michael and Saint Gudula are the patron saints of the city of Brussels. I know that another CCF member has a token with an image of Saint Gudula, so maybe that will show soon!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7722 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Electorate of Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hanover -- 1 pfennig, 1725:

Learn More...
United States
15362 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A great start to this thread. I'm gonna try to find some A-B-C saints tomorrow am.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3142 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am looking forward to seeing that Ancona medieval ... both a place and saint we haven't seen yet. Might you also have an early mariengroschen with a madonna? Enquiring minds want to know
And, grateful to @pepactonius for the steady stream of contributions!

I've got two left for A-B-C, and nowhere near as many for D-E-F. Here is Saint Peter enthroned (and rather worn down) on a Bremen coin:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3142 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My last contribution for the beginning of the alphabet is this 15th century 1/2 batzen from Constance with an image of St. Conrad. I will post a summary later of the (appreciable!) prgoress in the first 3 letters of the alphabet.

Learn More...
United States
15362 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok for the letter A, I have three coins:

1. 1419-dated Groschen from Aachen (Charlemagne)
2. 1420-dated Groschen from Aschen (Charlemagne)
3. 13th Century Denaro from Arezzo (St. Donatus)

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7722 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Electorate of Bavaria -- 10 kreuzer, 1784:

nothing more from me until GHI week
Edited by pepactonius
02/29/2020 6:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3142 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ok for the letter A, I have three coins

Talk about clutch! We're in the bottom of the ninth here for A to C, so great help from yours and @pepactonius' contributions

(BTW, there are more dates of early Aaachen coins up for auction right now)

Thanks to all who contributed to the first slice of the alphabet! I think the options will be fewer for D-E-F depending on whether we call UK coins from the 19th century England or Great Britain. But before getting ahead of myself, here's where we are already after the first 3 letters:

Compendium of Saints by Place Name
Aachen - Charlemagne (2)
Andorra - Charlemagne
Arezzo - St. Donato
Australia - St. George (2)
Bavaria - Mary as Madonna (6)
Berne - St. Vincent
Bingen - St. Martin of Tours
Bohemia - St Adalbert and St. Wenceslas
Brabant - St. Andrew, St. Michael, St. Peter, St. Philip
Bremen - St Peter, St. Willehad
Brunswick (city) - St. Anne
Brunswick-Lunenburg-Calenberg - St. Andrew
Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hanover - St. Andrew (3)
Canada - St. George (2)
Carmagnola - St. Constanmtius
Constance - St. Conrad
Corvey - St. Vitus

If we organize the list by saints' name:
Adalbert - Bohemia
Andrew (5) - Brabant, Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg, Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hanover(3)
Anne - Brunswick
Charlemagne (3) - Aachen (2), Andorra
Conrad- Constance
Constantius - Carmagnola
Donato - Arezzo
Eligius
George (5) - Australia, Canada
Martin - Bingen
Mary as Madonna (6) - Bavaria
Michael - Brabant
Peter (2) - Brabant, Bremen
Philip - Brabant
Vincent - Berne
Vitus - Corvey
Wenceslas - Bohemia(2)
Willehad - Bremen

Edited by tdziemia
03/01/2020 12:46 pm
Page: of 9  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05