Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Build A Compendium Of Saints On Coins: Alphabetical By Issuing Entity.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 221 / Views: 7,979Next Topic
Page: of 15
Learn More...
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdz, hoping to slip a couple more under the door before it shuts on ABC. For the letter B, I have five from Bohemia. Below is one of my faves though. I also have a coin from Bremen. The list from C is much shorter--just Corvey.

1. Bohemia Denas minted between 1061 and 1085 AD (St. Wenceslaus)

2. Bremen Schwaren minted between 1400 and 1454 AD (St. Willehad)

3. Corvey Kortling dated 1562 AD (St. Vitus)

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful adds! That's a great Wenceslas, and two more saints we hadn't seen yet. Germany was quite the source for medieval saints. (I will update the list at the end of the previous post).

Today we start the letters D-E-F. Most prominent in this list might be Florence before 1569 (after that it should be filed under T for Tuscany), which prominently features St. John the baptist (he is also on goldguldens of Dortmund andf Frankfurt in this part of the alphabet). You may also find a saint on medieval coins from Fribourg, Freiburg and Freising, Eichstatt, Echternach and Flanders, and apparently there is at least one coin from Denmark with a St. Andrew.

I will have pretty good coverage of the saint(s) covered on coins of the Duchy of Ferrara, starting with this St George from late 15th century (after 1597, Ferrara is under P for Papal States).

Edited by tdziemia
03/01/2020 12:36 pm
Learn More...
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the mints that I see for D-E-F:

Denmark - Andrew the Apostle
Desana (Piedmont) - St. Alexander / St. Leonardus
Teutonic Order - St. Elisabeth von Thüringen
Deventer - St. Lebuin von Deventer
Diessenhofen - St. Dionysius (St. Dénis)
Dortmund - St. Reinhold von Köln / Johannes der Täufer

Echternach - St. Willibrord
Eichstätt - St. Willibald and St. Walburga
Emilia - St. Chrysanthus / St. Franz von Assisi
England - Archangel Michael
Erfurt - St. Martin von Tours
Eschwege, Frauenabtei - St. Quiriacus von Ancona
Essen, Abbey - St. Kosmas

Ferrara - St. George, the dragon slayer / Maria Magdalena
Fischingen, Abbey - St. Idda von Toggenburg
Flanders - Philip the Apostle
Florence - John the Baptist / St. Kosmas
Frankfurt - John the Baptist
France - Archangel Gabriel
Freiburg (CH) - St. Nikolaus von Myra
Freiburg i.Br. - St. Alexander / St. Lambert
Freising - St. Korbinian
Friedberg - St. George, the dragon slayer
Friesland - Apostles Simon and Judas
Froburg, Gf. (CH) - St. Mauritius
Fugger - St. George, the dragon slayer
Fulda - St. Bonifatius

Anything that I'm missing?
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You were WAY more thorough than me.

I will just add that the coingallery list is very good but not perfect. We will also see a St. Maurelius this week (he is not on their list ... nor is St. Thomas the apostle, who we will see under P).

And if anyone on CCF has St. Michael on an English coin, that will be quite a treat!
Edited by tdziemia
03/01/2020 3:22 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
278 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So many beautiful medievals here!

I thought I would not be able to contribute to this thread with my mostly French coins. French monarchs scrupulously avoided putting saints on their coins, and the French revolution didn't change that either... There are some recent coins with Charlemagne and Joan of Arc, but they are too modern for my taste

Then I realized I have this Anglo-Gallic coin from the hundred years war, when French and English kings fought over the French throne. It is a salut d'or minted in Rouen sometime 1432-44 by the English king Henry VI, who claimed to be king also of France. Whether that makes the issuing country England or France I am not sure, but both fit the D-F window

On the obverse we have Virgin Mary and Archangel Gabriel, standing behind shields of France and England. The inscription spelled out reads Henricus Dei Gratia Francorum et Anglie Rex - Henry by Grace of God King of the Franks and England.

@Spence: Is this the type of coin you are thinking of for "France - Archangel Gabriel"?

Learn More...
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@Spence: Is this the type of coin you are thinking of for "France - Archangel Gabriel"?

Yes, although it never occurred to me that we would be treated to someone actually posting it. Well done @erafjel!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spectacular coin @erafjel!

When @spence posted that list, I thought it was curious that only Gabriel was assigned to France, because this "messenger angel" is almost always associated with the Annunciation, and hence also Mary. So we might have expected both Gabriel and Mary to be listed. When we reach N, I will have a coin with a similar theme, as Naples issued both a "saluto d'oro" and "saluto d'argento" in the 13th and 14th centuries while under Angevin rule.

But, since you have shared such a marvelous medieval gold here, I will add the one I have which fits both with the thread at D-E-F, and with the season (though 5 weeks early), this scudo d'oro of the Duchy of Ferrara, showing the other Mary (Magdalene) on Calvary:

Edited by tdziemia
03/01/2020 7:52 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
278 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That scudo d'oro is a real piece of art, @tdziemia!

Looking forward to your gold and silver salutos - as well as all other coins to be presented here! I'm out, no more saints in my collection...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2020  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looking forward to your gold and silver salutos

Alas, it will only be a silver one

After a pair of lovely gold coins for this part of the alphabet, I will bring us back down to earth with a smaller, cruder coin from the Duchy of Ferrara featuring St. Maurelius (San Maurelio).

I also encourage anyone who is just discovering the thread, and who may have missed letters A-C to please join in and post if you have something from a place that begins with those letters.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I knew this slice of the alphabet would be tough, but I thought maybe someone had a medieval florin (or a copy) which would have John the Baptist. Otherwise, the list posted a few days ago by @spence contains many obscure places probably not represented in many of our collections.
However, St George is all over the coins of the Duchy of Ferrara in the 15th and 16th centuries, and then for another century-and-a half as a Papal State (I am sure we will see more of St George when we move to letters G-H-I ... and Great Britain .. on Sunday). So here is another (this coin is even called a giorgino).

Learn More...
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the list posted a few days ago by @spence contains many obscure places probably not represented in many of our collections.

Yes including mine.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since we are largely stumped on this part of the alphabet, and I may have limited internet access tomorrow morning, I am going to "turn the page" to the letters G - H - I, after summarizing where we are.
So far, we have saints on coins from these places:

<u>CCF Compendium of Saints on Coins by Place Name A-F</u>
Aachen - Charlemagne (2)
Andorra - Charlemagne
Arezzo - St. Donato
Australia - St. George (2)
Bavaria - Mary as Madonna (6)
Berne - St. Vincent
Bingen - St. Martin of Tours
Bohemia - St Adalbert and St. Wenceslas (2)
Brabant - St. Andrew, St. Michael, St. Peter, St. Philip
Bremen - St Wilehad, St. Peter
Brunswick (city) - St. Anne
Brunswick-Lunenburg-Calenberg - St. Andrew
Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hanover - St. Andrew (3)
Canada - St. George (2)
Carmagnola - St. Constanmtius
Constance - St. Conrad
Corvey - St. Vitus
Ferrara - George (2), Mary Magdalene, Maurelius
France - Gabriel, Mary

For G-H-I, here are some of the places where saints images appeared on coins:
Genoa - St. George, John the Baptist
Goslar - St. Matthias. Sts Simon & Jude
Gotha - St. Gotthard
Great Britain - St. George
Halberstadt - St. Stephen
Hameln - St. Boniface
s'Heerenberg - St. Oswald, St Pancratius
Hersfeld Abbey - St. Lull, St. Wigbert
Hessen - St. Elizabeth
Hildesheim - St. Anthony of Padua, St. Bernward, Mary
Horn - St. Martin of Tours
Hungary - John the Baptist, St. Ladislas, Mary as Madonna
Iserlohn - St. Pancras

SO, let's see them! And if you are late to join, please go ahead and also post any coins you have with images of saints from places starting with letters A-F.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8314 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2020  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since United Kingdom is under "G" for this thread:

United kingdom -- 5 sovereigns, 1984:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8314 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United Kingdom -- 1 crown, 1889:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since United Kingdom is under "G" for this thread:

I never know how to play that. I've had the impression it was called Great Britain in the 18th-19th century changing to United Kingdom in the 20th at some point, but ..
Regardless, thanks for the great contributions!

I've got a handful of German States in this part of the alphabet. First up, this undated 15th c. bauerngroschen of Goslar showing Saints Simon and Jude, two of the lesser known apostles

Edited by tdziemia
03/08/2020 5:53 pm
Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 221 / Views: 7,979Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05