Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Build A Compendium Of Saints On Coins: Alphabetical By Issuing Entity.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 221 / Views: 7,910Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to imagine we got this far into the alphabet without seeing such an important guy.
Here is St. Stephen on a 15th century gros/groschen of the City of Metz, which is now part of Lorraine, France, but in those days was a staunchly independent free imperial city of the Holy Roman Empire.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8305 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saint George ---

Earldom of Mansfield-Eisleben -- 1/3 thaler, 1669:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I was waiting for a Mansfeld coin to appear!

Ferdinand I, King of Naples also liked warrior saints, but in his case, St. Michael on this undated (1488-94) coronato:

Edited by tdziemia
03/24/2020 3:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll follow up with another coin of Naples, from an earlier era, this undated Saluto d'Argento from the reign of Charles I of Anjou (1266-85) that shows a different Annunciation scene (Mary receiving news from the archangel Gabriel) from the one posted by @erafjel for France, and is nowhere near as beautiful.

Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
278 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia, I am very happy with my salut d'or, but your saluto d'argento is beautiful, so well struck and with wonderful details!
Learn More...
United States
15993 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some more great coins in the past few days. For this week's crop of coin issuers, it looks like the ones that I have with saints are all beginning with the letter M. Here are a couple images of St. Peter from the German Archbishopric of Mainz:

1463-1475:

1493:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can match that earlier one, but not the dated one:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And another St Paul from Munster, a bit later than @pepactonius' example, this 1762 6 pfennig coin. I like this iconography of Paul with a sword and a book.

Learn More...
United States
15993 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes good I'll have several images of St. Peter on coins of Muenster, dating from the 13th through the 18th Centuries. The sword and bible *is* interesting iconography.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I expect we'll see even more of Peter, Paul and Mary when we get to P for Papal States next week, and eventually V for Vatican City.
Learn More...
United States
15993 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple coins of the Italian City State of Milan that contain images of Saint Ambrose:

1395-1402 AD Grosso o Pegione:

1447-1450 AD Denaro:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love those medieval Milan coins. On one side a saint giving a blessing, and on the other side a basilisk eating a child
Learn More...
United States
15993 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the ol' carrot or stick approach, although even St. Ambrose seems to be holding a whip for self-scourging in addition to the more peaceful crozier. Lot's of dark imagery to be sure.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of dark imagery, I have a Batzen from the countship of Ottingen, same type @pepactonius posted earlier, just a different date (1521). A little hard to see, but St. Sebastian tied to a tree and shot with arrows:

Edited by tdziemia
03/27/2020 5:14 pm
Learn More...
United States
15993 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the German Bishopric of Münster, I have a series of 13th and 14th Century coins with the image of St. Paul:

1261-1272 AD:

1275-1301 AD:

1364-1379 AD:

1379-1381 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 221 / Views: 7,910Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05