Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Build A Compendium Of Saints On Coins: Alphabetical By Issuing Entity.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 221 / Views: 7,789Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Great contributions! I don't think I've seen those out here before. I like the evolution from the stylized,Gothic representation to the the more realistic image a century later.
Learn More...
United States
15958 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From googly-eyed alien to sword-wielding astronaut, here is St. Paul's final form: Christian soldier. I've got a couple more examples from Muester--these are 18th Century though.

1714 AD:

1764 AD:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super! That closes the loop, as the 1714 4 pfennig is the same type @pepactonius posted on Monday.

The book is easy to understand as a symbol for St. Paul. According to some sources, the sword is related to the means of his martyrdom (beheading).

Maybe we will see more of him next week with P for Papal States?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another good week! Here is where we stand:

Aachen - Charlemagne (2)
Andorra - Charlemagne
Arezzo - St. Donato
Australia - St. George (2)
Bavaria - Mary as Madonna (6)
Berne - St. Vincent
Bingen - St. Martin of Tours
Bohemia - St Adalbert and St. Wenceslas (2)
Brabant - St. Andrew, St. Michael, St. Peter, St. Philip
Bremen - St Wilehad, St. Peter
Brunswick (city) - St. Anne
Brunswick-Lunenburg-Calenberg - St. Andrew
Brunswick-Luneburg-Calenberg-Hanover - St. Andrew (3)
Canada - St. George (3)
Carmagnola - St. Constanmtius
Constance - St. Conrad
Corvey - St. Vitus
Ferrara - St. George (2), Mary Magdalene, St. Maurelius
France - Gabriel, Mary
Goslar - Sts Simon & Jude, St. Matthias
Gotha - St. Gotthard
Great Britain/U.K. - St. George (12)
Hessen - St Elizabeth of Thuringia
Hildesheim - St. Bernward, Mary as Madonna
Hungary - Mary, Madonna (19), John the Baptist
Iserlohn - St. Pancras
Kempten - Hildegard
Koln - St. Peter (6)
Leignitz-Brieg - St. Peter, St. Hedwig
Limoges - St. Martial
Lucca - St. Martin
Luzerne - St. Leodegar
Mainz - St. Peter (3)
Mansfeld - St. George
Metz - St. Stephen
Milan - St Ambrose (3)
Munster - St. Paul (8)
Naples - St. Michael, St. Gabriel, Mary
Ottingen - St Sebastian (2)
U.S. - St. Eligius token

I hope with next week's letters, P-Q-R-S we can get more of our world coin collectors to step up, with places like Papal States. Here is a longer list to look at in our collections that might have an image to contribute this week:
Paderborn - St. Anthony, St. Liborius, St. Meinolf
Padua - St. Prodoscimus
Papal States- St. Paul, Peter and many others)
Parma - St. John the Evangelist, St. Thomas, St. Vitalis
Pavia - St. Cyr
Passau - St. Stephen
Perugia - St. Herculanus
Pesaro - St. Terentius
Piaczenza - St Antoninus
Portugal - St. Vincent
Portuguese India - St. John, St. Philip, St. Thomas
Quedlinburg - St. Servatius
Ragusa - St. Blaise
Regensburg - St. Wolfgang
Ravenna - St. Apollinarus
St. Gallen - St. Gallus
St. Veit - St. Leopold, St. Vitus
Salerno - St. Matthew
Salzburg - Mary, St. Chrysanthus, St. Rupert & Virgilius
San Marino - St. Marinus
Savoy - Gabriel, St. Mauritius
Schwyz - St. Martin
Solothurn - St. Ursus
Sweden - St. Erik

Let's see 'em!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll start P - S with a coin I joked about earlier, my only St. Gaudens this 13-14th undated grosso of the Italian city-state Rimini with an image of that city's first bishop, Saint Gaudentius.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8272 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My biggest contributions this week will be St George and the dragon, on the Russian Empire coat of arms. However, let's start with Ragusa and St. Blaise (and Jesus):

Republic of Ragusa -- 1 perpero, 1709:

Are we doing "S" this week (Salzburg and South Africa, for me)? The original schedule had P Q R this weeek?
Edited by pepactonius
03/29/2020 11:49 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Ragusa coin! I think Sweden also has this Salvator Mundi image of Jesus (which we saw from @t360 on some gorgeous thalers on the last How Far Back thread).

YES on S. I figured since Q would likely be a no-show (though maybe @spence has Quedlinburg) we would go thru S this week. Makes for two remaining chunks of the alphabet (T-U-V, then W-Z).
I think this could be a big week, with Papal States, Salzburg, and Russia (which I completely forgot).
Edited by tdziemia
03/29/2020 1:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This may be my most unusual contribution, though not an especially beautiful coin, a 2 tanga of Portuguese India (1640-41) with an image of St. Philip.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1903 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is just a little more modern then all the ones posted. But I think it works.

1972 San Marino
50 Lire St. Marinus

Learn More...
United States
15958 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like I've got a little something to post each day this week, although sadly nothing from Quedlinburg. To get started, here are a couple Grosettos from Ragusa--one 16th Century and one 17th Century. Both include St. Blaise, but the older coin seems to also include an image of Jesus (hard to tell on the younger coin, but perhaps that is Him there too).

1514-1533:

1686:

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This coin is just a little more modern then all the ones posted. But I think it works.
1972 San Marino

Absolutely! And good to see you here @Keith.

Quote:
the older coin seems to also include an image of Jesus

If it's the figure in the 3d photo with SALVS TVTA in the legend like pepactonius' coin, I think it's a good bet it is Jesus again. I had Ragusa on my radar screen for St. Blaise, but having religious images on both sides means it goes higher on the list.

For anyone who grew up Catholic way-back-when, St. Blaise's feast day was marked by the blessing of throats (related to a miracle he performed). As I had recurrent sore throats as a kid, my mom made sure I NEVER missed that event.
Edited by tdziemia
03/29/2020 5:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since we've had a few Ragusa coins with images of Jesus, here is another, this 1577 1 grosz coin from the siege of Gdansk. Collectors from the Germanic world would put this under D for Danzig, but since I am a collector of Poland, it goes here, as Poland, Gdansk mint

Learn More...
United States
15958 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one @tdz!

Here are a couple very similar 13th Century coins of the German City State of Regensburg. The striking process is a bit rough, but I believe that is St. Peter on the reverse.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe that is St. Peter on the reverse.

The other option is this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfg...f_Regensburg
Though the iconography isn't always consistent, Peter is usually shown as bald and bearded (your coins from Koln and Mainz), and the saints shown with mitre and crozier are often a local medieval bishop like your Willehad of Bremen, my Bernward of Hildesheim, and the parade of St. Ruperts (Salzburg) we will see the next few days. I still need to photograph my 16th c. Regensburg coin
Edited by tdziemia
03/30/2020 07:03 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3353 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is St. Thomas the apostle on a 1793 20 soldo coin of the Duchy of Parma.

Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 221 / Views: 7,789Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05