Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Build A Compendium Of Saints On Coins: Alphabetical By Issuing Entity.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 221 / Views: 8,206Next Topic
Page: of 15
Learn More...
United States
16094 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tzd, yes that is possible: the Bonhoff catalog states that it is "St. Petrus (nicht erkennbar)". If it wasn't recognizable to him, then I suppose it could be just about anyone on these coins.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3391 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I defer to the catalog ... though I occasionally see mis-attributions of saints' images in auction listings.

This later 1/2 Batzen coin of Regensburg has St. Wolfgang for sure

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8395 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess this is St. Stephen --

Bishopric of Passau -- 1 batzen, 1518:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8395 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Archbishopric of Salzburg -- 1 batzen, 1500:

(Saint Rupert?)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8395 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something much more modern:

St. George --

Union of South Africa -- 1 sovereign, 1928:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3391 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super group! Yes, I suppose depending on which language one prefers the Salzburg saint is St. Rupert or Ruprecht? (Rudbertus in Latin I suppose).
Here is mine, thanks to you OFEY guys pointing out it was an accessible choice for the year 1500:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8395 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it's time to start with St George and the Russian Empire:

Russian Empire -- 20 kopeks, 1916:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8395 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Russian Empire -- 5 roubles, 1902:

Learn More...
United States
16094 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple 13th Century silver Pfennigs from the Austrian Duchy of Carinthia (minted in St. Veit). Despite the different depictions, I believe that the reverse of both of them is ole St. Veit himself. On the second coin, you can see the retrograde inscription TIEV--what is largely off flan is SANT.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3391 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is shaping up to be a great week! I will drop in a couple of Papal States issues to cover centuries in between those nice pairs.
First, Saint Bruno (founder of the Carthusian order) on this undated testone (1689-90)

Then this 1709 grosso from the Ferrara mint with yet another St. George (Ferrara ceased being a duchy when Alphpnso II d'Este died without an heir in 1598. The pope gobbled up the former duchy).

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8395 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's finish up salzburg, before continuing with Russia --

Archbishopric of Salzburg -- 1/9 thaler, 1638:

(St. Rupert)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8395 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Archbishopric of Salzburg -- 3 kreuzer, 1691:

(St. Rupert)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3391 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll add one more nice St. Rupert from Salzburg, this 1700 Thaler, with a madonna reverse:

Learn More...
United States
16094 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that Thaler is drool-worthy!

Here is a beat-up 12th Century Follaro of the Italian City of Salerno. The guy with the halo is St. Matthew and you can see one half of the inscription (SM) which flanks him.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slovakia 20 korun, Sts Cyril and Methodius

Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 221 / Views: 8,206Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05