Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Prow Of Galley On Unidentified Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 325Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
233 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  11:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin is thought to be Greek, circa 4th to 3rd centuries BC, but I can't find any information on it anywhere.

Obverse: Unidentified head facing right, with counterstamp. Reverse: Prow of galley with legend above. Diameter: 30mm. Weight: 10.74gr.

Any help with this one is greatly appreciated.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
4909 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,

Possibly from Korkyra/Corcyra, with jugate heads on the obverse (you can just barely make out the second head on yours), showing Herakles and Korkyra. Similar to: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=94456

Pillar of the Community
United States
4909 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Btw, appears to be a bucranium countermark. Neat. Here's a kinda similar one: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=159334

Valued Member
United Kingdom
233 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you again Bob, that is truly amazing. I couldn't even find anything to match the inscription above the galley, no matter how I searched.

With the coin in hand, I can see a second hairline, forehead, and eyebrow. I hadn't noticed them before. On the reverse, even though the lower part of the coin has been flattened by the counterstamping, the outline can be seen. This is indeed the same coin. To even get an ID on the countermark is a huge bonus.

To say that I am in awe of your eye for detail, and your skill at detecting these coins, would be putting it mildly.

Thank you again.
Jim
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1833 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To say that I am in awe of your eye for detail, and your skill at detecting these coins, would be putting it mildly.
.....I agree....Bob you have a real gift!

Very nice coin Jim!....Added bonus is the countermark is another animal to add to the farm....Paul
Valued Member
United Kingdom
233 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Added bonus is the countermark is another animal to add to the farm.

Thanks for pointing that out Paul, as I was slow to notice, and could have missed it. It is a worthy addition to the growing menagerie.

Jim
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 325Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05