Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof ASE With A Privy V75 Mark?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 3,615Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2020  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheInfinityPoint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the pic of the silver eagle design. Personally I think it'd look better with the privy mark more discreet under IN GOD WE TRUST. Where it is now is just right in the middle of that beautiful mirrored field.

I'm going to predict it will sell out in 45 min. to an hour. I don't think there will be as many flippers as last time (due to a lot of people losing their jobs, furloughs, etc.) though. But it'll be the 4th lowest mintage IIRC (after the 2019-S ERP, 1995-W, and the 2008 w/2007 reverse uncirculated error variety), beating out the current 4th lowest mintage holder by ~25k (2011 Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary Set).

I'm also going to predict they will go on sale August 15 (V-J Day) or maybe Sept 2 (official signing of the treaty in Tokyo Bay).
Edited by TheInfinityPoint
05/16/2020 06:44 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10500 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Personally I think it'd look better with the privy mark more discreet under IN GOD WE TRUST.

I agree. Seems stranded out there in that big open field.

Quote:
it'll be the 4th lowest mintage

Good point. I definitely will be in for two if I can get my hands on a 2nd.

Quote:
I'm also going to predict they will go on sale August 15 (V-J Day) or maybe Sept 2 (official signing of the treaty in Tokyo Bay).

Solid guesses, except 8/15 falls on a Saturday.
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
September 2nd sounds reasonable since they may try to make some of the releases later in the year to try and make up for lost time producing these coins.

I think the gold eagle will come out before then.
Edited by mrpapageorgio
05/17/2020 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Personally I think it'd look better with the privy mark more discreet under IN GOD WE TRUST. Where it is now is just right in the middle of that beautiful mirrored field.

I disagree with this view. The entire purpose of the coin is to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII. The thing that makes this ASE a commemorative is the privy mark! Hiding it somewhere less obvious on the coin is counter to the purpose of the privy mark and the coin itself. If anything, I would have preferred a larger and more noticeable privy.

Regular 2020 proof ASEs with pristine fields are available for purchase, I don't see the need to minimize the privy mark on this special edition piece.

Just my opinion, of course...

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10500 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems, I disagree with you. The way it is depicted, that privy mark is just sitting out there in a sea of smooth, shiny silver and looks lost. And since when were privy marks the design focus of a coin?

To me, someone is trying to get around the limit of 2 commemorative issues/year limit to generate more revenue.

Also just my opinion, of course...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If anything, I would have preferred a larger and more noticeable privy.

I agree. And, why not make it more elaborate with a script font? If you're commemorating something, don't just add a little doodad like that...

In any case, I like the idea whether I can get one or not.
Valued Member
Lebanon
172 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
do you think it will be a good investment ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And since when were privy marks the design focus of a coin?

Since the 1990s when the Perth Mint of Australia and the Royal Canadian Mint began using special privy marks to create contrived collectible bullion coins. Today, there are many dozens of them and they are collected for their privy marks!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1224 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How long before they give notice for when a coin will be going on sale typically when it TBD and not a set date at the beginning of the year? 2 weeks? A month? Just curious, never thought much about it before.
Learn More...
United States
87820 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I disagree with this view. The entire purpose of the coin is to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII. The thing that makes this ASE a commemorative is the privy mark! Hiding it somewhere less obvious on the coin is counter to the purpose of the privy mark and the coin itself. If anything, I would have preferred a larger and more noticeable privy.
I agree with your disagreement.

Quote:
And since when were privy marks the design focus of a coin?
Not for a coin, but for this coin. Otherwise, why buy it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2001 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with your disagreement

I also agree with your disagreement
Edited by hfjacinto
05/18/2020 2:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
857 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it should be as big as the blown up size
Learn More...
United States
87820 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it should be as big as the blown up size

Probably becomes more a part of the device and less privy mark.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheInfinityPoint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Regular 2020 proof ASEs with pristine fields are available for purchase, I don't see the need to minimize the privy mark on this special edition piece.

It's not hiding it, or removing it. I'm just speaking from an aesthetic point of view. I still want the privy mark there obviously. Look at for example the American Innovations coins, the privy mark on that one is nowhere near the middle of the field, and incidentally right under IN GOD WE TRUST as I said earlier. On the other hand for the V75 ASE commemorative it just looks like they blindfolded an intern and asked them to choose where to place the privy mark, lol (I'm being facetious of course). All I'm saying is it doesn't appear like they took the original coin design and aesthetics into consideration when choosing the privy location.

Edited by TheInfinityPoint
05/18/2020 9:51 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 3,615Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05