Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A List Of Modern Counterfeits?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1792 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  6:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was asked to advise on and value a number of old coins that my former cleaning lady had recently bought, probably on eBay.

Unfortunately, they were all well made counterfeit silver coins, instantly recognisable because they are magnetic.

Is anyone maintaining a list of such counterfeits?

Her coins are:

Mexico 1 peso 1872
New Zealand 1 dollar 1977 (a very common coin -why counterfeit ?)
Poland 5 zloty 1921
Poland 5 zloty 1926
Poland 5 zloty 1928
Poland 10 zloty 1937
Russia 1 rouble 1894

Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3156 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Malaysia 50 sen 2007 http://goccf.com/t/359641&SearchTerms=50,sen

I think we've also seen some counterfeit early 20th c. gold from German states out here, and there are a lot of counterfeit US silver dollars (1878 - 1930s) that have come up, though I'm not tuned in to the specific dates. Depending on how far back is considered "modern" we get back to 16th to 18th century thalers, where there are vast numbers of fakes being peddled by RUssian sellers on eBay.

(And sounds like you have a Polish cleaning lady?)
Edited by tdziemia
02/22/2020 11:23 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3156 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For instance, eBay seller penumb16 has these (pretty good looking) fakes currently for sale:
1632 Poland Thaler, CIty of Torun
1649 Brabant Patagon
1678 Papal States Piastra
1579 Mansfeld Thaler

Similar merchandise for tati07071982, yupa8278, simo_373, bad-358.

Often "priced to sell" at $40. Equal opportunity: there's stuff from South America, Hawaii, UK, France, German States, Sweden, Poland.
I hadn't realized the 1880s Hawaiian series was being faked.

Edited by tdziemia
02/22/2020 12:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3300 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Pertinax, if someone is maintaining a list I suspect that it would be a long one and growing by the day.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6361 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of penumb16's British coins are fantasies that bear no relation to genuine coins, apart from his 1651 Commonwealth sixpence, which he describes as a 'Six Shillings' - a denomination that didn't exist!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4924 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on my experience as an authenticator (about 40 years) I would say that you should presume that every coin could be a fake. A list of counterfeits would be out of date before it could be printed.

You need to be able to tell the difference in hand quickly and accurately. Magnetic coins that should be silver are easy - they are all bogus. But there are many others that even give the "experts" fits.

However, there are other considerations as well.

Counterfeits made with the correct alloy metal do exist.

Some Circulating Contemporary Counterfeits are worth more than genuine coins in the same grades.

Numismatic Forgeries made to deceive collectors (not for circulation) are of almost no value.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05