Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1818 1c Matron Head Large Cent #3

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7457 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  10:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this up recently. Thoughts? Thanks!

Edited by numismatic student
02/26/2020 11:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6695 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55 with great luster
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46254 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds about right.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13013 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most guys know I'm not an error collector but that obverse circular raised line had to be on the planchet before striking or the stars would also show that circle line . I'm thinking EF-40/45/50 .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2451 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice. AU range seems right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7202 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  09:44 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to recuse myself, saw the auction.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7457 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most guys know I'm not an error collector but that obverse circular raised line had to be on the planchet before striking or the stars would also show that circle line . I'm thinking EF-40/45/50 .

The raised line around the obverse connecting the stars indicates that this was minted from a failing die which was cracked around the entire circumference of the entire coin. You can also see that the stars are not split nor well defined, consistent with the decreased pressure exerted by a cracked die. It is thought that in 1818, dies were expensive and the Mint continued using them until they were completely obliterated.

This coin is the N-10 variety which is known to be the most common variety found in the Randall Hoard. The prevalence oh the VVLDS 1818 N-10 variety in the Randall Hoard led dealers at the time to speculate that these coins were restrikes produced with old mint dies at around the time of the discovery of the keg of coins in Georgia in 1878.

However, this coin is atypical of Randall Hoard coins because most coins of that provenance had prominent spots and flyspecks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13013 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the enlightenment .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2569 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse does not show wear with some of the original mint red color still on the coin. The obverse looks like a XF 45 with the wear on the hair, bun and a flat area above the L in LIBERTY. I could not grade the coin higher than AU55/58.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19374 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin. AU-55 obverse judging by the hair, AU-58 reverse. The obverse hair wear just might be a strike problem. AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
United States
920 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8449 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
55 rev 45/40 obv net 45 imo...really really beautiful coin no matter what.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
8397 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
weak strike. I'm looking really close at the cheek, nose and ear and I'm not seeing any signs of circulation as well as the high point of the leaves. MS62BN with some nice red peaking through here and there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7457 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one came quickly as the seller is local. Our Panzaldi seems to be most in agreement with the graders at NGC. The obverse die is VVLDS even with the shattered die. I have seen N-10s of this date with split stars in the obverse. This impression is much later in the life of the die. Nevertheless it is still beautiful imho. Below are the in-hand pictures.

Edited by numismatic student
02/28/2020 4:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1851 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice luster and great variety. Tough to distinguish slight wear from a weak strike, but it's a beauty either way!
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2020  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it, nice coin!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05