Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Alexander & Kassander - Ironic

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 512Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
231 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  12:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had a club and bowcase coin reverse, but it was very worn, and had very little detail. The Alexander the Great coin was in much better condition, so I bought it. There was another similar club and bowcase coin in reasonable condition, so I got that one as well. Ironically it is a coin of Kassander who was was one of the Diadochi who warred over Alexander's empire following the latter's death in 323 BC. Kassander later seized the crown by having Alexander's son and heir Alexander IV murdered.

Alexander the great. AE unit. Uncertain mint in Macedonia. 336-323 BC. Obverse: Head of Herakles right, wearing lionskin headdress. Reverse: Bow in bow case and club. Corn ear below. Reverse Inscription: AΛEΞANΔΡOY. Diameter: 19 mm. Weight: 6.1 gr. Reference: Price 330 var. (no monogram)

Macedonia, King, Kassander, AE. 316-297 BC. Helmeted head of Athena right / BAΣIΛEΩΣ KAΣΣANΔΡOY above and between club above and bow in bowcase below. SNG Cop 1159; Moushmov 7271. Size : 20mm. Weight : 2.67gr.
Learn More...
United States
22981 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ice sharp detail on the Alexander coin.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
231 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It cost a little bit more than my usual limit, but I reckon it was worth it.
Learn More...
United States
16013 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I reckon it was worth it.

Yes a couple nice pick-ups. Those spiked clubs look kinda painful.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United Kingdom
231 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those spiked clubs look kinda painful.

Indeed. I would not like to be on the wrong end of one of those things!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3362 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attractive coins with interesting historical connections!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4906 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Another case of stolen iconography, a common crime in ancient coinage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3146 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  06:52 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Herakles is almost as interesting a figure as Alexander
He almost certainly was a real person whose legend extended all the way from the Bronze Age straight through the classical and into the modern
Both Philip and Alexander claimed lineage
In the tale told by Homer Herakles is absent from the Great War
Likely because it was common knowledge that Herakles had destroyed and rebuilt the walls of Troy many many years earlier in the 'first' Trojan War
The telltale sign that Herakles was ancient even to the ancients is his weapon of choice
The nasty looking club
The "assault weapon" of choice back in the early Bronze Age !

One other war hero belongs to those earlier Bronze Age days
Oddly it's Achilles
He was usually depicted as having a large oval shield while the other warriors carry much smaller round shields
This marks him as a transplant from an earlier age of hero's

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Valued Member
United Kingdom
231 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2020  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia and @Bob L
While reading up on the kings of this era and their lineage, especially the Seleucid Kingdom, I am amazed at the number of intrigues, and in-family murders etc. Being of high ranking blood was definitely not good for your health in those days. It is odd to think that intellectual property theft, ie iconography, was a problem back then as well.

@FVRIVS RVFVS
A very interesting post, as I did think that Herakles was a mythical character. It is nice to know what the importance of the war club on the reverse of many of these coins is too.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
3146 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2020  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Valued Member
United Kingdom
231 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2020  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very interesting read. Thank you.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 512Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05