Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Flying Eagle / Indian Head Collection In Old Album Pages

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 5,492Next Topic
Page: of 6

United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  2:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone - my 1st post! These 3 old Wayte Raymond album pages containing 1856 FE thru 1909s IH are a recent estate discovery and are temporarily in my possession. My friend inherited them and these have not seen the light of day for 60-70 years. Originally bequeathed to her father who recently passed at 103! This family had little to no interest in these and I am the first person outside the family to see these as they were stored away in a cellar file cabinet since aprox. 1950-60s. I am just a casual collector, but know enough to see this is a very special collection, and so my friend agreed to let me do some research before deciding how best to handle eventual sale. Posting here for your interest/ comments/ input/suggestions . Thank you in advance for comments and all replies.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53678 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty fantastic in these pics! Can you show us close-ups of some of the better dates?

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2930 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If those are real, you have a pretty valuable set. We are talking several thousands.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2930 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at it again, if the 1856 and 1877 are real and in the condition I think they are , 10 thousand+ at least.

If I had this, I would keep it, but this is a killer set, you can get a lot of money for it. I would send this off to Heritage. If the coins aren't details, we may be looking at the new Hanson Registry set of IHC/Flying eagles.
Edited by hfjacinto
03/15/2020 2:20 pm
Learn More...
United States
18302 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how best to handle

First welcome to CCF. Second, while it isn't exactly what you meant, a couple words of caution here:

1. Don't touch these coins with your bare hands
2. Don't breathe on them
3. Absolutely don't in any way clean them
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for the opening comments. Agreed, my initial research indicates this is indeed a special collection. These 3 album pages are just part of this recently unearthed/inherited collection, but for now just concentrating on this portion. Need to take it slow and be much more educated before I issue the best protocol on selling. I am not familiar with all the terminology heavy collectors may use, so please understand I need layman explanations here! Naturally I am familiar with the top auction houses, but what is meant by "Hanson Registry"? I greatly appreciate!
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Spence - understood and appreciated. I am thankfully savvy enough to know the importance of original preservation. These albums are long long ago sealed shot with heavy end staples. They have not been touched since being inserted by the somewhat mysterious Great Uncle who collected them. Thank you!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
911 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
note the coins labelled Proof or PR are, if probally labelled, special versions made for collectors as opposed to made for circulation, and some proofs are more valuable than their same-dated counterparts made for circulation
Pillar of the Community
United States
2930 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hanson is a rich guy that is buying the best coins out there at crazy prices. These are good enough that they could be part of his collection.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog - thank you for your welcome and interest. Limited photo skills here, not to mention the difficulty of getting good shots with these old cloudy, striated scratched and dusty album windows. Took me a good bit of time just to finally upload the pages, as I'm not the most tech savvy! I will honor your request to the best of my ability if you can be patient for individuals. My time is very limited today unfortunately - but will have much more time this coming week. Just wanted to at least get a start today with opening post.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto - VERY INTERESTING!! How do I find out more on Hanson? Thank You!

Nick - thank you - yes I am familiar with proofs vs./ business - much appreciated none the less.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20020 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Fantastic coins. Worth many thousands of dollars. From what I see that 09S alone is in the thousands of dollars. I'd tell whoever owns them to be careful with them. Well worth a lot of money.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
911 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
except to permanently extract the coins from the album, avoid sliding those plastic album windows because doing so can drag bits of dirt across the coins, scratching them, and one scratch on a valuable coin can reduce its value by thousands of dollars
Pillar of the Community
United States
2930 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a good article on his quest .

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/eclip...of-all-time/
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nick - yeah I hear you on the danger of sliding out the inner coin trays - did some research on these type albums. NO worries... it was tempting when I first layed eyes on these, but thankfully they were stapled shut by the original collector many many moons ago -thus preventing ignorant removal! Removal must be done by an experienced professional. It is one of my questions as to weather or not these should be professionally removed and individually graded, or kept intact as is.

Just Carl - thank you! I am the temporary custodian of the collection at the moment, as the owner has zero coin experience. My job/goal is to educate and guide her properly in the right direction. Just not sure what that is - so that why I'm here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2930 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never recommend getting coins slabbed but this is a set I would recommend sending off to a third party grader like TPGS or NGC. The cost of $1000 will be worthwhile. They will grade all the coins and you'll know a fair value. Just 2 words of warning, if the coins are cleaned they may come back as details which diminishes their value and they are fake, at least you'll know (I doubt they are fake, but you never know)
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 5,492Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05