Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Flying Eagle / Indian Head Collection In Old Album Pages

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 5,491Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9290 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most amazing set I have ever seen. Wow!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3610 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely positively send the entire album as is to ANACS, PCGS or NGC. IF the ones labeled proofs are indeed proofs, this is a set worth tens of thousands I would think. I would be packaging it up right now and contacting one of those grading companies.

Once it is back and you know exactly what you have there, then you can decide how to go about doing something with it.
Edited by smokeriderdon
03/15/2020 4:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6885 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the kind of set people dream of and only a very few will ever own. Simply amazing! Congratulations not only on the set, but on doing your homework to make sure these historic gems are preserved/handled properly.

While I also hate to think of coins being slabbed, these are top of the line examples and slabbing will bring in the most profit if/when selling.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW - these are amazing responses! I knew they were nice with some killers in there, but...I'm now biting my nails on some possibilities. I am trying to catalog each coin with photos and initial guess on grade by searching around the net for similar, as well as trying to deduce any existing varieties if possible- which is a daunting task due to some I'e never seen such as the myriad of Snow Varieties. Not sure if that is actually worth the time and effort - so thoughts on that appreciated. All the pencil notations that say either PR or Proof were made by the original collector - all other notations are mine, such as pointed bust - shallow N - and so on. Anyway, I figured some record of the intact collection would be a good idea.

I hope to have time to expand my photo uploads here over the next day or so. Thanks to all chiming in so far - VERY ENCOURAGING!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37210 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Those photos made me
You may want to contact Heratige Auction,they will send them to a TPG for you at a slight discount (I think I read that somewhere). Please keep us updated.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3610 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
canudigit, as I said, send the pages in as is. The grading company will safely remove them and authenticate and grade them. Make sure you let them know you want them checked for varieties and the like. All of that can behandled by them. And a majority of the times the company will get the grade fairly close. These things are somewhat subjective, so there will often be arguments one way or another. But the primary thing is they will ID whether they are proof or not and whether or not they are real. Whatever amount of money you spend to send them in WILL BE WORTH IT.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3475 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing set of FE & IHC's.

I would NOT send these pages in for grading.

There is enough value, I would WALK this set thru PCGS service at a major coin show. Would also ask Numismatic press to write a story on this set.

Amazing! Simply amazing!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
827 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2020  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an amazing set. WoW!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37210 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2020  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with acloco and smokeriderdon,both great ideas.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2020  06:42 am  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Truly a stunning set.
Looking for pre-1961 Russian and Soviet coins.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3848 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2020  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with with Acloro...IN NO WAY send them through the mail. Major cost/investment to have them slabbed but well worth it in the end game...wow... what a set

Please stay active on this forum and keep us updated. What a collection..
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a beautiful set! Those are some beautiful Indians!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1689 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a cent collector, but like others, this set blows me away. You're well into the tens of thousands of dollars here.

I'm not sure I can offer any sage advice, but if it were me, leave it exactly as-is for as long as possible, and get advice from everywhere before passing it off to anyone. It only stays in this original state once. Handle very carefully. The staples particularly scare me. The 1879 seems to be poking out the back of the folder, so be careful regarding that too. Get as much information as you can on the collector and the history. A good story really ramps up the value, in my observation. I would contact several major auction houses, send them pictures, etc. It would be in their interest to pump up the media attention, so they might assist with that. Articles, press releases, the whole nine yards. A set like this doesn't pop out of a cellar filing cabinet very often. Proceed slowly and carefully.
Pillar of the Community
United States
954 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2020  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A true hidden gem of a collection, something we'd all like to stumble upon. I'd also love to read the story behind the collection, and story of the coin collector.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 5,491Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05