Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Flying Eagle / Indian Head Collection In Old Album Pages

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 5,480Next Topic
Page: of 6
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to thank everyone here who has chimed in thus far with wonderful comments, compliments, opinions and especially advice. I'm going to be completely frank and honest as is always a best policy. I'm feeling a bit in over my head with a collection of caliber. I do not want to advise the owner unwisely, and am trying to figure out all the best moves.

Presently I tend to think these album pages should not be tampered with by anyone at the moment - or sent in the mail anywhere for that matter. I have discussed all said in this thread with the owner, who is totally amazed with comments of rarity and value - when I said to her, "I told you so!!" Yeah I know a good thing when I see it....but....next move....should I flip a coin ?!? LOL! Kbbpll - thank you for your thoughts above, as I heavily lean to agreement - leave it alone and intact until all avenues have been explored with personal conversations and perhaps in-hand examination to proper expert personnel. In the end the chosen route will be decided by the owner, but my will is that it be the most educated decision possible.

Kbbpll - again thank you for your interest in the story or provenance of this collection. Agreed again sir! The history is quite necessary I think! As of now this is a work in progress. Unfortunately my friend does not remember the name of the Great Uncle who amassed this collection. All the old timers in this family are gone - so she has been trying to reach out to distant cousins with so far little success. All we know is that he was from Louisville KY -we know his sir name - died in the 50s at a very old age - his entire collection split among his 3 nephews. We do not know what else from the collection was given to the other 2 nephews, but the owners father was also bequeathed many early US gold coins of different denominations - 30 or so in total - and those are my next project. Anyway, the owner is doing her best to uncover the story of this mysterious Great Uncle. It may take some time but am confident the linage, and possibly facts on other portions of the whole collection will eventually firm up. Meanwhile....we are calling this the 'Uncle Daddy Warbucks' collection!
Edited by canudigit
03/16/2020 8:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3474 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By chance, could you take pictures of four coins at a time? Obverse and reverse?

The numismatic crowd can give you a very real price estimate.

A couple of the "PR" marked coins look like cameos, which effects the value of proof IHC's considerably.
Edited by acloco
03/17/2020 12:27 am
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BrandaBob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly a magnificent set- all dates present, 56, 77, 09-S, most of which are BU, outstanding. Still can't believe these were preserved so well, there's no reason it all shouldn't be valued in the thousands. Congrats on the discovery!

Also, 'Uncle Daddy Warbucks Collection', nice, I ship
Edited by BrandaBob
03/17/2020 12:33 pm
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your comment Bob! Well, since acloco has requested closer photos I going to say OK...BUT, just let it be understood that I have no skill here, no special equipment or lighting. Also, these old album windows are reflective, spotty, scratched and dirty hampering my already limited skills. This is a test, so if these are too sub par to continue please let me know. THANKS!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2911 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That set makes me DROOL!

The "really" valuable ones are the 1856 (Flying Eagle), the 1877 Indian Head and the 1909S Indian Head. Can we see pictures of those 3 front and back? The 1856 in MS condition is worth 10000+ (The + is over 30K, if in high grade like Mint State 65 or 66)
Edited by hfjacinto
03/17/2020 1:22 pm
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 18 coins noted as Proofs, with one being the FE 1858 SL, and 17 being IHCs. I am having a terrible time photographing so if you bear with me and ignore my disorder I will eventually get to as many as possible. I had this one done so here is 1862 proof:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2911 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at these makes me sad....

AS I DON'T HAVE THESE!!

United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another I had already done - 1877 proof. Tough to photograpgh, this is not doing justice I'm afraid...dark coin but with beautiful rainbows on OB and RV. Well...hope you get the idea.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2911 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may have to revise my estimate higher! This is truly a special set. I honestly have not seen IHC/Flying eagle coins this nice... EVER!

My only concern on the 1877 is that usually the N's have some softening even in high grade, but I HAVE NEVER EVER seen an 1877 proof.

I went to look at my set.. I'm really sad!!
Edited by hfjacinto
03/17/2020 4:25 pm
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try to get some more photos done as soon as time allows - so thank you for your patience. I had this 1859 proof already done using a different format. Not sure this one will be suitable here with size restrictions but...here it is:
Pillar of the Community
United States
2911 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please STOP ITS HURTS!! THESE ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!!
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL! Sorry hfjacinto! Hey man, speaking of pain...my eyes are burning out trying to get decent shots that are suitable for the forum format. UGH!! OK...last one for now because I need a break. I know you guys want to see the 1909s - unfortunately there is a lot of 'schmootz'on the OB window so excuse that.

Maybe this OB shot is better?

Edited by canudigit
03/17/2020 5:18 pm
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought I would also add the 1856 FE - I'm not too happy with
how the shots came out, but have tried and tried. The obverse window is really a scratched dirty mess. Anyways, you can see it is not near a top quality example, but does have some pretty nice detail. None the less, I am thrilled any example of this scarce coin is included in this Uncle Daddy Warbucks set. I'll work on better shots at some point - meanwhile where would you put it grade/value wise ?

Thank you for any continued interest and input!
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow after I catch my breath for a moment I most likely go back and drool some more wow. Simply incredible.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2911 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I don't like you anymore... you're just mean. Listen an 1856 in bad condition is worth a few thousand. The one you have isn't worth 10000 but it can get several thousand. Like I said this is a blow my mind set. I really mean it. People just don't have sets like this laying around. Just stop posting because my laptop crashed from all the drool. Before you do anything else get in touch with Heritage Auction!! Ship this for at $30k in insurance. Make sure it's a signed delivery. You can buy a new car with this set (and I'm talking Mercedes type, not Yugo)
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 5,480Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05