Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Flying Eagle / Indian Head Collection In Old Album Pages

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 5,489Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow after I catch my breath for a moment I most likely go back and drool some more wow. Simply incredible.hfjacinto is correct the 3 are the keys but a dozen or more of the others could be condition rarities rare varieties or just will create a bidding war maybe get them slabbed as the the stapled holder hoard or something to carry with them the province.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess what my pain level is hfjacinto! I have actually bonded with Uncle Daddy Warbucks here...deeply and hopelessly in love... and sick to know it is but a temporary affair. I have to keep reminding myself it's gonna be over and out of my hands forever at some point fairly soon -pure torture! My consolation prize is just having it in hand for these fleeting moments....this honor and privilege shall never happen again I'm quite sure. Onward n' Upward..........

1866 and 1867 Proofs:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2930 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please stop!! I have broken my laptop, iPad and waterproof iPhone with all the drool. I can't believe this set. I really can't! I just threw away my set. I'm sad...

Pillar of the Community
United States
2930 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just so you know I have 2 slabbed coins I threw them away also!! This is such a showpiece... I'm leaving CFF...

Just kidding on all the above. I would tell the owner 2 things. 1) if you don't need the money, get these slabbed and make sure they are insured. This is a lifetime set.

2) if you need the money, this set will get you a lot of money.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hear ya on 1) and 2) so thank you hfjacinto. There is no rush to sell this collection. Money most certainly not needed, but is always of interest to all no matter your status! The family who had this had little to no interest in the clinking clanking collection all these years....however, my friend who is the present heiress has quickly developed a very keen interest as I continue to educate and advise. This collection needs to be handled carefully and slowly at this point. I feel I need a better understanding of all the options and opinions before any next move can be made.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two more proofs from album page 1 - 1870 PR Shallow N and 1873 PR with wicked color but toning spots.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2930 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only reason I say to get them slabbed is that the grader will remove them and even conserve them If needed. In the condition these are in, a scratch or run can mean hundreds of dollars in value loss.

I don't envy you, I would sell one of my kids for a set like this

I have to stop looking I keeping getting sadder
CCF Advertiser
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Paradime Coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paradime Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks real nice collection.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with what you say hfjacinto - a piece of my heart is gonna go along with these when they go. And go they must - my friend is a very savvy lady and understands these need the right appreciation and home. Although these will likely be all split, separated, conserved, graded, slabbed and sold - I can't help finding the sad shame in disturbing the long long history this collection has shared in secret together.

OK...well let me finish the proofs from album page 1, and call it a night. Last but not least the 1858-SL proof -low leaves - type III. I hope you are all enjoying my crappy photos! I would enjoy any comments -and I thank you for looking!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3475 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2020  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This set is worth well north of 30K.

As reference, depending on which 1856 variety the about coin is, PCGS price guides starts at 5K.

https://www.PCGS.com/prices/detail/.../grades-1-20

1500 to 5K each, for the 1857 and 1858 trifectas.

1869 thru 1876 IHC's are 1K to 8K.

1877 is, more than likely, at least 8K, if not more.

Simply wonderful set, that was carefully assembled by a true Numismatist that new this series and what to collect.

United States
46 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add benv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, just caught up on this, that set is incredible. I'm looking forward to if/when you get them professionally graded, I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them ended up vying for finest known.
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sheldon Overton Baby to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am late to the party but I have to ask: were there any other albums beyond this amazing set?
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2020  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acloco - WOW! And thank you on your comment above as to possible value. I am in no way a grading expert on coins of this caliber, but have tried picking around the net at auction and retail values, as well as grading charts for some that you mention. Tough for me to estimate as the dollar differences from one grade to the next can be dramatic - not to mention varieties, color and the like. I do believe some of these have the potential to grade quite high - and will leave that to the experts when the time comes. I try to be conservative with my estimates and grades since I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than sorely disappointed!

benv- thanks for chiming in and boy I hope your right! From the basement to the limelight!! Now that would sure make ol' Uncle Daddy Warbucks proud !!

Hi Sheldon Overton Baby - thank you for your interest. Somewhere in this thread I posted a short scenario on the rather mysterious nature of this collection. In short, the present owner is working on gathering any further information (if at all possible) on the 2 other portions of this collection that was inherited by two other nephews. This split inheritance goes back to 1950s- or early 60, and all of the original recipients have passed away. At present we have no idea what the entire collection consisted of. I did get a phone call from the present owner today who is still going through her fathers estate, and lo and behold more coins have surfaced in another basement file cabinet. I will be meeting with her on Saturday to see what she found - silver in plastic holders is all she tells me. She knows zero about coins so I tell her just put the aside till I get there. I can't wait to find out!!

I just want to thank everyone here for guiding and encouraging me with all this. So many words of praise it's nearly overwhelming, and truly exciting. Rest assured a well thought out plan for this collection is of the upmost importance.
I have a better understanding of the options as well as a reinforced awareness of the fine quality of these coins. To all who have chimed in - it is so extremely appreciated!

I do not want to clutter up this thread with hoards of unnecessary photos, so will refrain from posting more unless I get a specific request - in which case I'll be happy to oblige!
Edited by canudigit
03/18/2020 6:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53678 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Late thought - the 1877 is definitely a proof given the Bold N reverse. Not surprising - if you're putting together a high-grade set, it's less expensive than the regular issue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4599 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2020  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like a fine wine, coins like these only get better with time. We can only dream, imagine the compiler fancied these Indians as a young person. They probably came from money, as the average person would not be able seek out proofs to set aside as a hobby.

You can imagine this person perhaps goes back a few generations... the first of these coins came out before the American Civil War... perhaps this person was given the Flying Eagles as a youngster, and developed a passion which lead to obtaining the Indians as they came out?

We may never know the real story, but we do know they were collected by someone with a passion to get the best possible coins, and it's a shame the passion was not passed on to a family member. The passion will go on, inspiring others who will buy these. It would be a shame if they were purchased by a single person, in my opinion, only to be locked away in a vault somewhere. Rather, if these are split from the set, they could continue to inspire by their very existence in several different collections across the land. Examples such as these are rarely seen, let alone owned.

Thank you, canudigit for sharing these here with us, and allowing me (us) to dream.
ša va bien aller

Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 82 / Views: 5,489Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05