Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Flying Eagle / Indian Head Collection In Old Album Pages

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 81 / Views: 4,176Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
2396 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2020  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how did one acquire a PROOF FE or IHC back then? did they come from the mint in general circ. or were they special option to buy? I'm curious!
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2020  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the worn 1856 is interesting, that coin circulated a fair amount before someone realized how rare it is
Pillar of the Community
United States
605 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2020  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't wait to see the silver coins. :-)
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Merclover, thank you for your poetic and pondering reply. Well said! I too have daydreamed of the man who passionately and patiently collected these glorious coppers. I imagine how he grew up with IHCs and possibly also FEs jingling in his knickers! It is also quite possible that he was born around the civil war era as there is incredible longevity in the family genes. I know he died in the late 50s or very early 60s, when this portion was passed to my friends dad who just passed at 103 years young and sharp as a tack. My friend is kicking herself now for not discussing previous generations and other family history. I think it is only a matter of time before we will know more about who the man was behind this collection. I will gladly share more info. as available. It is quite possible that he may have been a well known collector in the numismatic circles of the day. ALSO - I can't agree more that these have been locked away in the dark long enough and they are enjoying their long lost sparkle once again!
Edited by canudigit
03/19/2020 6:18 pm
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SDcoinguy - I had wondered the same thing! There are a few good web articles on the history of US Mint Proofs that I have read. I believe it was by 1858 that proofs were more widely available by special order. I also read that the he 1856 FE proofs are considered restrikes done in 1858-60 if I remember correctly. The original 1856 pattern mintage of aprox. 600 coins were business strikes - given to congress and other bigwigs. Some of the original 600 found their way into circulation. Could this particular 1856 be one of the original 600 issue. Quite possibly YES!
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RPT - thank you for your interest. Yeah on the silver...my imagination is vivid on the possibilities here. I have to reel my thoughts in till I see on Saturday meeting. I say this because we found small boxes and cases with old loose mixed coins in the house previously - about 300 IHCs almost all in poor condition, as well as some common Morgans and Peace - a few various seateds and other silvers....all loose and lower grade -nothing a serious collector would save. We were baffled at first but one of these cases had a letter enclosed noting that these coins were saved by a brother (the grandfather of present heiress) of the Uncle Daddy Warbucks. He was a shopkeeper here in Upstate NY and maybe the coin bug ran in the family - in extremely varying qualities!! SO...I hesitate to speculate on the new found silver just yet. I'll let you know!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
799 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2020  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm stunned by this set, I really hope you get them conserved and graded. WOW!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3481 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I owned that set and wanted to sell I would send to great collections. They will take care of submitting to a TPG and cac. They have the lowest selling fees out there and will promote it to get good auction results. I know PCGS is currently closed, don't know about NGC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
605 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
canudigit: Where in upstate NY? I grew up in the Utica/Rome Area.
Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This set is amazing! Thank you for sharing it with us. It is certainly drool worthy for sure. It makes you wonder how many high grade sets of classic coins are sitting stored away waiting to be discovered like this.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your continuing replies! Sorry for my delay is posting - but as you can imagine it's been pretty chaotic here in NY especially with the statewide mandatory lock-down.

RPT- I'm in the Hudson Valley - and looking at the mighty Hudson as I type. I sure am thankful for the glorious scenery amid the isolation and turmoil.

Jason39305 - so funny you should speculate in your post! We have made a bit of progress concerning the mystery of the original collector and some of the extended parts of this collection. We know his name, and exactly who got other portions of his hoard. It is correct (as stated somewhere above) that indeed 3 relatives were bequeathed portions - 2 nephews, and one niece ended up with the 3rd portion. Lo and behold all three got FE/IH album pages! SO... the old dude had a serious passion for this series!! It is yet unclear if these second two sets are still in the family intact, but we are hopeful that at least one other complete set may be similarly stashed away by a great nephew. It is also yet unclear if anyone also inherited a similar portion of gold coinage. Over time this will all likely be determined. That's all we know at the moment. Proceeding slowly and cautiously, and hope to bring any remaining intact portions back to the light of day if possible.

Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so he had multiple sets of this series? Insane !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1571 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I'm imagining that the other set might actually be better than this one. This thread could be the best first post ever.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canudigit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Insane is right 1962 Penny! I know ol' Warbucks was a confirmed bachelor and quite likely on the reclusive side. Coins, particularly this series, where apparently his romance and entertainment. Conjures up some vivid sepia-toned images of candlelight and copper for me. I imagine his gravestone might say, "Copper is your only friend......Until the End"! LOL - I have an intense imagination and curiosity of the ol guy! Although I hope to learn more facts, I am quite enjoying my present image of the man.

Hey kppbll - Yeah this has been an amazing opening post for me - well beyond my expectations! This forum has led to a deeply gratifying journey and learning experience for sure. Call it beginners luck!

No confirmation yet that any of the other portions are still intact - or perhaps even further dispersed among following generations. It's going to take some heavy digging through distant existing relatives. BETTER? I don't dare even imagine that! I believe that the original nephew/recipient of this set was considered a favorite.
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for posting the story Alongwith the fantastic pictures.
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 81 / Views: 4,176Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05