Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Flying Eagle And Indian Head Cents And A Future Long Term Project

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 267 / Views: 15,883Next Topic
Page: of 18
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
497 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2022  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, so it's one of the two semi-keys at the end of the series. NICE!!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Pillar of the Community
United States
5123 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2022  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I had made a bid on the quarter needed for the Registry 7070 and I was getting paid on Friday, I decided to see if there were any coins or notes from Portugal in my price range on eBay, not finding any, I went to the group of internet dealers I have saved on Google. None had anything at a good price except a dealer in Charlotte, North Carolina.

A little back story. My company has a huge presence in Charlotte and I have a few coworkers that I have a very good relationship with. One is Bob, Bob was our procurement contact, he handled all my billing, and statement of works (contracts). Bob also has a beautiful coin collection that he inherited from his father. But Bob isn't a collector per say, he doesn't know how to buy or what to get or what stuff costs so I have purchased things from my local shop and I ship to Bob. Bob is shocked at what I get and the prices I can get as I have a good relationship with my local shop.

Now back to the dealer in Charlotte. He has a 1908 S Indian Head cent for $150, which is a good price, but the picture he posted was poor, so I reached out to the coin shop. We talked for a little and I came to the conclusion that the coin was on the low end of the grade but still nice overall. I asked the dealer if he would discount and he said he couldn't but if I gave him $115 cash I can take it. Mind you the dealer knew I lived in NJ. I said thank you and called up my friend Bob. I asked Bob if he knew where the coin shop was and Bob is 15 minutes away. He offered to pick it up for me, he would pay $115 cash. I call the dealer and tell him my friend is picking it up. And the dealer went quiet and said a deal is a deal. Bob picked up the coin for $115 and mails it to me that day, he said to wait till I get it before I send the cash (I know Bob and I purchased the coins for him the same way, its what friends do). So I checked the price guides, even at a low XF40, the coin is still $175, so KATCHING I made out.

At this point I owe Bob $115 as I spent my weekly budget but I wasn't going to worry too much as I could hit the savings.

On Friday I get my coin from Bob and I reach out to him and Bob goes "HFJacinto, instead of sending the money, is there anyway you can get me one of the women's quarters and maybe a silver coin?" As I had won the bids on 3 womens quarter on eBay, it was a perfect deal!

I honestly am thinking to myself, can the week get any better? I offered Bob 3 different bullion coins from my stash (a philharmonic, an american silver eagle and a maple leaf and the women quarter for the $115) and Bob goes that's too good a deal for him, I need to offer him less? I won't do that, but Bob can't get those items for $115 where he lives. The 4 coins actually cost me a little under $114, which is really close to what Bob spend for my Indian Head cent.

So that is my 3 for 3 week. 3 killer deals, one of the deals I sadly can't talk about.

The coin is actually better than the pictures, the Liberty is almost full except for a slight rub on the B. There is also 1 diamond, I think this coin is more VF35 than XF40, still a great price. Its also a woody, the mixture like for most of the SF coins isn't perfect.

Edited by hfjacinto
05/01/2022 5:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2022  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hfjacinto- That's a good price for that grade, nice buy.

Why can't you talk about 1 of the deals though?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5123 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2022  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why can't you talk about 1 of the deals though?

I did a favor for a friend of my brother and she gave me an excellent price. No other reason I can't talk about it other than it was a family friend and no real reason to post it on the internet.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69018 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2022  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickup, Helder!
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
744 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2022  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great deal Helder!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5123 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2022  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just sent Bob pictures of the coins he was very happy. Bob likes silver. They will be shipped tomorrow. All in all a good deal to all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5123 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1905 Proof got graded woot woot.

Pictures and grade coming soon!!

Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My 1905 Proof got graded woot woot.
Excellent!

Quote:
Pictures and grade coming soon!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5123 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more Indian added to the collection. Pictures coming soon, this one is on an Anacs Slab so its not on the registry set. 17 more to go.
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One more Indian added to the collection. Pictures coming soon, this one is on an Anacs Slab so its not on the registry set. 17 more to go.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5123 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stepping away from the 7070, today you get an 1864 no L in bronze. In 1864 Indian Head cents were issued in 3 separate version, a Copper Nickel version and 2 bronze version, one with an L and one without the L (L is for Longacre the designer of the coin). While the L is visible on higher grade coins, one can tell on lower grade by the pointed bust. The no "L" has a rounded bust.

Since this coin is in an Anacs slab it won't appear on my registry set along with a few other coins.
Edited by hfjacinto
05/16/2022 2:35 pm
Learn More...
United States
113567 Posts
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto, did a favor, can't talk about it. Hitman?
Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 267 / Views: 15,883Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: