Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Needed Authenticity Check For Asian Silver Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1212 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  12:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 0xDA71D to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I'm looking at some auctions online and I'm unsure of the authenticity of some of the pieces. I would really appreciate any help or perspective as to their authentication. For context, these are being sold by an auction house in the USA (not particularily well known), there are no weights given, and these are the best pictures available. Furthermore, I have blacked out the auction house's name. If these are indeed fake, I will bring it to their attention.

Here are my thoughts:
- For the first coin (Pei Yang), it looks like an original coin with even wear and toning but what I'm worried about is the weakness in the beading on the reverse. I'm not sure if it's common to have beading like that.
- For the second coin (British Trade dollar), some of the details on the reverse appear mushy and appear to "blend in" to the background. But the obverse looks ok So I'm not sure about this one.
- For the third coin (memento), it appears fine. But it looks like the key diagnostic for this one one way or another is the huge die crack on the bottom reverse. I'm not sure if that die crack is a known diagnostic for genuine examples or if it's known for fake examples
- For the Fourth Coin (fat man), I am VERY skeptical about it. Just general weakness and how the details blend into the background too much on the reverse.
- For the fifth coin (junk), I think it's ok. Looks nicely toned and detailed.

Thank you in advance!

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first one is a 7 mace 2 candareen coin from 1908 China made with .900 silver Worth about 300 USD
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Second is a British Trade dollar made with .900 silver worth about 75 USD
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both look real to me based on other images
Pillar of the Community
Australia
553 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
all would be suss on all the coins to be honest with you, I would have to inspect in the hand, as high grade fakes of these have been made. Also the a huge amount of low grade fakes of these coins.

Problem is that coins images aren't high enough resolution to tell if genuine or not.

For the first coin would be worried about the beading not showing through however that can be due to wear of the coin. Aleast words are correct on this coin however I would inspect the typeface worried about the 3,

for 2nd coin there are a few details that you should look at to or be aware of to examine to know that's genuine or not, they are too small on the image to see clearly.

The memento dollar almost certainly a fake as well however that just based on how rare they should be compare to the amount of fakes, note also some detail I reckon aren't up to par

The fat man dollar coin is almost certainly fake, could be wrong and it could just happen to have that weird flat looking wear.

Last Junk dollar is hard to say however like the Trade dollar there are a few detail that if you know you would look at (pictures are good enough to tell) to try to determine authenticity.

Swap list : http://goccf.com/t/334449
Free coins for (post 500)competition
http://goccf.com/t/350686&whichpage=3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3278 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With a few dubious ones, my confidence level in this auction house would not be high. Do you trust their abilities?

Perhaps a bigger question is:

If you buy one and it is fake, will you be refunded your costs?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05