Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would Anyone Be Interested In Seeing My Pre-Decimal Penny Collection?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 2,053Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
983 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree David UK. I would never buy a bulk lot off Ebay (In fact I don't use it).

Maybe NZ is behind the times, but Trade me occasionally has the genuine "Old lady in the country" with this box of coins daddy bought back in the war lots and those are the ones I pounce on.

Agree about pre 1860s - if you find one its always 1853, 54, 55 and usually corroded or chunks missing. However I did strike gold with that one lot.

Like ebay, the usual British penny lot is listed by a dumb person who has no idea Britannia pennies are common in VG and lower condition and thinks because the coin is 18 something, it must be worth thousands. Some people are mystified by the age of something having a great value and its mainly the young and/or the uneducated.

In this age of internet, pop culture, video games and trends changing every five seconds, we have a generation of ingrates who think a mid 2000s phone is prehistoric and 1990s rap is "old school" - so a penny of Queen Victoria or King George V must have had Triceratops minting them with their paws!

Have any of you guys met the dumb dreamer types who say "I have an 18th century coin" and it turns out to be an 1890s (Usually 1898 or 1899) penny and they are so dumb they think the 18th century is the 1800s!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17087 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"When a penny is not a Penny"
- when it's a Jersey One Twelfth of a Shilling

One of the most interesting of this series is the "Liberated 1945" with Elizabeth 11 on the obverse.
Strictly speaking, this coin does not have a year date. Only date evidence on the coin is 1945.
This coin issued in 1954, but no evidence of that date on the coin. Scarce but certainly not rare.

Which brings me to another curiousity.
The 1954 British Penny.
Perhaps? 5 of them exist, only one example in private hands.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
983 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mint employees having fun perhaps? Say someone finds a bag of 1000 of them and all of a sudden the price of a 1954 penny comes down to say 1000 or something.

The fact very few pennies were made at all between 1949 and 1961 raises questions, were they over pennies in the 1950s? I mean they were content to stamp out on average 3 or 4 million penny coins for New Zealand throughout the 50s (I am not sure if they issued the South African and Australian pennies as those palces had their own mints too).

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
04/07/2020 06:27 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
110 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Have any of you guys met the dumb dreamer types who say "I have an 18th century coin" and it turns out to be an 1890s (Usually 1898 or 1899) penny and they are so dumb they think the 18th century is the 1800s!"

This seems a tad harsh - dismissing someone as "dumb" just because they made a (fairly understandable) mistake isn't really a great way to go about things. I've met some very smart people who have made similar mistakes - very easy to do.
Edited by Collector28
04/08/2020 07:27 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1950 and 1951 penny coins were made for the Bahamas, IIRC.
Looking for pre-1961 Russian and Soviet coins.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1502 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2020  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mint employees having fun perhaps? Say someone finds a bag of 1000 of them and all of a sudden the price of a 1954 penny comes down to say 1000 or something.

The fact very few pennies were made at all between 1949 and 1961 raises questions, were they over pennies in the 1950s? I mean they were content to stamp out on average 3 or 4 million penny coins for New Zealand throughout the 50s (I am not sure if they issued the South African and Australian pennies as those palces had their own mints too).

No mystery at all - the 1954 British penny had a new obverse and reverse die (not used for any other years) which was tested on a small number of coins but apparently none were needed for circulation so whatever was produced was (mostly) destroyed.

I don't think the British were over pennies at all - probably the large number of pennies and 12-sided threepences struck during the war years meant there was no need for any new coins for some time. New Zealand didn't have the benefit of 80 years of existing coinage behind it which is probably why it continued to produce pennies (and I thought at various times Australian bronze coins were imported too). Australia had mintages during the war years and lower mintages straight afterwards and from memory South Africa had lower mintages in the late 1940s too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't even realize this until now, but the 1953 pennies weren't made for circulation either.
No wonder I haven't found any.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will be posting pics shortly.

I did acquire the 1879 and 1883 pieces recently.

About the "local shopping" comments, you have to remember that there aren't a whole lot of places in my area that sell coins. This was true even before this whole virus hullabaloo. The closest thing to coin dealers I've ever encountered were the "cash for gold" places, and most of those only sell bullion junk.

Bear in mind that where I live, population density is about 25 per square mile. The closest large city (over 100k) to where I live is Shreveport, and that's about 110 miles west. Jackson's about 140 miles east, Little Rock's about 170 miles north, and Baton Rouge and Lafayette are about 200 miles south.
Edited by CalzoneManiac
05/21/2020 6:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2466 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the pennies and have quite a few.
Most of them are low grade though, but at least they fill a hole.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 14,500 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
983 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just some nice pennies for you.

My collection has a lot of very worn pennies (Especially the 19th century ones) but now at least my 1960s pennies are all great - these things shine and they were so cheap!

We should have a penny a day thread like NumisRob suggested in March, start in 1970 and then head back to the Pennies of Offa!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
983 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
David UK

Just completing your list of penny mintages (Courtesy of Numista)

1966 - 165,739,200
1967 - 654,564,000 (That is a seriously high number of pennies - they needed them until 1969 or perhaps were still minting them through to 1969 but with the date 1967 on them
1970 Proof only - 750,400 (Polished set coins)

The 1967 figure is astounding way ahead of any other year.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
378 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly the majority of the 1953 set only issue are very poorly struck and look circulated. Below believe it or not are my two 1953 Pennies from UNC mint sets.It is why this year still commands a small premium for well struck coins. It is clearly evident that the plague of poorly struck coins hasn't gone away and the coins struck today in many cases are evidence of that

Valued Member
United Kingdom
189 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pwa 1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its the OBV bust on the die of the 1953 plastic sets Zoo ,they are all engraved low relief.
So even something well struck and mint will be weak to the bust with the letters ok.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the reason the '67 mintage was so high was because it was produced for more than one year (possibly even until they were demonetized on 8/31/1971)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1502 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if the reason the '67 mintage was so high was because it was produced for more than one year

It was, though I don't recall when mintage stopped (probably until 1970).
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 2,053Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05