Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Box Of Penny Rolls, First Roll Out, This Is The Ender.. Value?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 2,909Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hail24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the amazing find! I am a newbie to this coin collecting thing and even I knew that was a monster if it was an S mint mark. Thanks for sharing it keeps me very interested in the CRH even though I think I am a little too interested already.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2436 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I personally find this hard to believe but I guess it could happen.

I'm right there with you westernsky. Smells a bit fishy to me. Sorry, but who photographs their first roll, and who finds something like this and doesn't immediately tear into the roll?

ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No not joking, no April foolery. Actually decided to get the box for something to do while waiting out the apocalypse and bam there it was

Just for argument sake, it would be very kind of you to photograph both sides of the coin using a mirror to show us that you are indeed on the up and up.

Personally, I hope you are being straight with us.

Since I inherited a handful of mostly junk world coins and found a Venezuela 1879 1/5 bolivar - which I sold for $2,200.00 - who am I to question your find.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13439 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shut the front door ! If it's genuine then that has to be one of the most incredible CRH'ing finds ever .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1852 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a skeptic but if it's a joke it's well played (good chances it is, the possibility of an random end being a 1909 S VDB are pretty much nil). So this is most likely deliberate which means you have either of 2 things occur. 1) A collector actually did this 2) the OP is playing us.

Me I'm in the 2 camp as not many people will send out a $700 coin for s#!ts and giggles.
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@merclover personally, I don't find that part suspicious. A lot of hunters like to set aside their good enders and photograph/document them before opening. I'm more suspicious of the general insanity of finding not only an S VDB in circulation, but as an ender, which has to be somewhere on the same order of probability as quantum shifting through a solid surface. Only thing I can think is that maybe a generous collector dumped it during that thing a year ago where people released coins into circulation to try to entice new collectors.
Edited by SamCoin
03/31/2020 10:57 am
Learn More...
United States
86430 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5187 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone on this forum could do exactly the same post with a key date coin from their collection.

All ya gotta do is pull that coin out of your set, stick it in a roll on the end, crimp it back down so you can see the "bait" date (or mintmark) and then create a storyline.

Taadah!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44517 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes a collector will pass away. What happens to their collection? Often tossed into a coin star. So when this happens, all the gems he found are returned to circulation. So check those rolls for more gems. They may other coins that are worth a lot of money also. Take your time with these. You have found a coin that many have never found in the wild. I can't stress this enough. I would not get rid of any of those coins until you know a lot more about coins. Take your time with them.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoesThisCount to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photograph it using a mirror? Not sure what you mean?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5187 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Photograph it using a mirror? Not sure what you mean?

Where you can get both the obverse and the reverse in the same photograph hold the coin up to a mirror. Then capture the obverse image and the reflected reverse image (from the mirror) in a single photograph.

BTW - I think your coin is genuine. The find is questionable in my mind though.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoesThisCount to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I suppose anyone could create this "fake" story but lets think about it, if I was a collector.. serious enough to have a "collection" and actually have this penny in that collection, what are the chances that I wouldn't of already had it graded and encapsulated? Probably just as unlikely as really finding ot in the end of a coin roll..
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoesThisCount to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1852 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 1909 S VDB, 1914 D and 2 1931 S not slabbed. I also have an 1877 and a 1909 S IHC and a Mercury dime 16 D, not slabbed.

I will say well played! This thread will go at least 5 pages.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13439 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately that mirror photo is too blurry to show us anything . I can barely make out the ''D'' in VDB .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 2,909Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05