Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1652 New England 3 Pence?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 356 / Views: 28,106Next Topic
Page: of 24
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnH4444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably one of the greatest coin finds of the century if it's real, among the ranks of the 1854 s half eagle and the 1870 s half dime
Pillar of the Community
United States
2215 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the update, larsjan. Are you able to share any details regarding the coins authentication and/or grading status?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1327 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The probability is on the steady rise!!!
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=387871
Pillar of the Community
United States
3850 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP seems to be hiding something. Perhaps this is a contemporary counterfeit. It's his coin, he can be forthcoming on providing info if he wants. It's not like it's any great national secret.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2088 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
OP seems to be hiding something. Perhaps this is a contemporary counterfeit. It's his coin, he can be forthcoming on providing info if he wants. It's not like it's any great national secret.

larsjan, I'm wondering why an auction house would go through the trouble of video taping and taking pics of a coin that is going to be placed in a catalogue that has not even been authenticated yet? What is the auctions house's reasoning for that? Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1327 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suspect that the auction house is wagering that it's genuine.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=387871
Netherlands
44 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larsjan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is my coin. And no I am not hiding anything.
I am just cautious with what to say online.
The auction house is investing a lot of time and money in this coin for a while now and just do not want to get in their way. The photos and video were taken to show them to some experts to judge. And think that if the coin is authentic they will use them again for the auction.

When there is any news I try to share it here.
It's just that things are not going as easy and fast as normal because of the covid.
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steviegetz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the coin was on its way to PCGS for certification? What happened there?!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3850 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought the coin was on its way to PCGS for certification? What happened there?!

I don't think they are grading from pictures. Neither do so called experts. This story is starting to become suspect. Plus a mystery auction house.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't really matter jimbucks. If it's real we WILL be reading about it. If it's not, oh well, it was a good story. We refreshed our memories on Colonial silver.

What I fear most is the inability of Stack's or anyone else to authenticate it, even if it is authentic. I have American Colonial spoons whose authenticity is unquestioned, but they are widely collected, there are plenty of other examples, and the values are not high. This 3 Pence is like a Brasher Doubloon with no provenance.

This story perked up my interest in the English hammered coinage and I won a Edward VI half sovereign at auction. It's real and even has a griffin. And I can afford it. NE silver is WAY out of my range.

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
04/16/2021 7:17 pm
Netherlands
44 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larsjan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jimbucks, I really don't like the tone of your last 2 posts.
This doesn't really motivate me to post any more updates on the process here.
I am doing this because this community has helped me a lot in this process and have promised to keep you informed.

It may be that it is not always clear because of the language barrier.

The coin is now in the US at Stack's.
I was told that they have to do a lot of research, they have to provide all the evidence for authentication, precisely because this coin is so rare and there is almost no comparison material. They are still working on that, the photos have been taken so that the coin can be viewed well enlarged by various experts. not for grading but for authentication.

That's all I know for now. If you are in doubt, fine. But don't doubt my sincerity.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1802 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have the well wishes of many here. I have enjoyed the ride with you so far. Dont give up on us because of a couple of posts! Even if the story doesn't have a happy ending, we want to see it through.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great post--been following it from the beginning--good luck and please do keep us posted---
Edited by mikev50
04/16/2021 7:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2329 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@larsjan, best of luck! I can only imagine the angst building on your end. Thank you for the update and yes, please do continue to keep us posted.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1764 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel like I need to say that the two recent comments by @jimbucks are completely uncalled for. @larsjan has returned here to give us updates for over a year now. There is nothing "suspect" here. Frankly if I was sitting on a potential million dollar coin I would have disappeared 10 months ago. The experts are not going to waste their time traveling to view this coin in hand without significant photographic and other evidence up front. And I can understand the need to not steal the thunder out from under the auction house.

The last I heard from the very kind curator at MHS, she had not heard from anyone wanting to examine their specimen. I would think that this would occur at some point, since it is the sole example and with a known provenance. Arranging something like that could take a long time, especially with COVID still a factor.

Thank you again @larsjan for the updates and most of us out here are rooting for you.
Edited by kbbpll
04/16/2021 8:06 pm
Page: of 24 Previous TopicReplies: 356 / Views: 28,106Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05