Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1652 New England 3 Pence?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 395 / Views: 38,763Next Topic
Page: of 27
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3555 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2021  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decided to do a full listing of single-coin CCF threads with more than 30,000 views (excluding this one). There are many, many more than I would have expected!

I've checked (as far as I could tell) all the relevant subforums, but not the archived versions, so there might be a few more in the archives.
The vast majority in fact appear to be fairly routine identification/attribution threads from about a decade ago (the oldest are from 2008, the newest from 2016, with only three after 2014), usually featuring common and/or obviously fake coins. I suspect they were (intentionally or accidentally?) spamming and/or SEO targets.
Actually interesting threads (e.g. actual major rarities/errors) are bolded. [Note that even those are all about a decade old; this thread is the only exception.] I've italicized one thread with a real but not very major error.

I tried to keep the list to single-coin threads, but in some cases it was hard to tell. Several threads had later participants post their own similar items; I usually counted those but maybe I shouldn't have. I won't be surprised if I missed a few that should have counted.

Miniature $20 St Gauden Gold Piece 1908 - 84,100 views
Help Identifying An Asian Coin With Square Hole In Center (Id: 19th Century Chinese Cast Cash) - 64,355 views
1966 Canadian Silver Dollar - Small Beads ? - 62,611 views
1976 National Bicentennial Medal - 59,505 views
Dei Gratia Carolus IIIi 1801 Hispan Et Ind Rex 8R Fm - 57,105 views
Coin Or Medal | Chinese Fantasy Dollar - 56,882 views
1977 D Silver Half - Call Me Crazy! - 53,706 views
1878 P Morgan dollar VAM-85 New Discovery! New B1 Reverse! - 52,205 views
1944 Tombac Nickel? - 51,191 views
1808 France Coin? / Token? | Jewellery Charm - 50,283 views
Mint Error? 1968 Lincoln Memorial Penny - 50,075 views
Help With 1855 1/2 California Gold - 49,121 views
1961 D Penny With 2 Errors - 47,994 views
2007 Double Headed 5 Cent - 44,056 views
2004-P Jefferson nickel DDO Peace Reverse! - 43,674 views
1922 Overdate Penny. What Are Your Thoughts? - 41,619 views
1870 CC Seated Liberty Half Dollar - 41,416 views
1916-D Dime. Do I Have What I Think I Have? - 41,221 views
2009 Lincoln Sitting On Log Cent-Errror: Grading Request - 40,751 views
1973 Penny, Is This An Error? - 37,574 views
Unfamiliar Coin | Denver Uncirculated Set Mint Medal - 37,406 views
A 1989 D US Quarter With Unusual Errors - 37,326 views
Error Struck Canada Toonie $2.00 Coin - 36,685 views
1975 D Mint Penny With Error! - 35,819 views
Janosikov Dukat 1713? - 35,148 views
1943 Australia Penny Question. - 35,025 views
1795 Silver Dollar - Real Or Fake - 34,868 views (2015)
Abraham Lincoln Commemorative Coin | Shell President Medal - 34,526 views
Israeli Coin? | Replica/Fantasy Ancient Judaean - 34,380 views
Bicentennial Quarter 1776-1976-D Error "F". What Would Be The Grade& Value? - 34,362 views (2016)
1977 D Lincoln Penny Not Sure What Error Type This Is - 34,151 views
1874-1937 San Francisco Mint Coin Treasury Department - 33,993 views
Angel Token - 33,739 views
1987 D Lincoln Penny DDO - 33,652 views
1985 $100 Mexicano - 33,417 views
1958-D Lincoln Wheat penny Errors? Help ? - 32,682 views
1972 D Quarter Error - 32,394 views
1978 Silver Penny? Testing Real! Any Ideas? - 32,087 views
1984 P Error Quarter? - 31,773 views
1980 P Washington quarter ( Never Saw This Error Before) - 30,865 views
2015 Nickle Error - 30,825 views (2015)
1897 British Penny. Help To Identify Tide And Value Please. - 30,801 views
Unidentified Coin, Denomination Is 1 U R N - 30,740 views
Ancient Chinese Knife Money, What Is This Worth? - 30,693 views
A 1996-D Quarter - Missing The Copper Core Error, Comments.. - 30,618 views
The Palmetto State South Carolina 1788 Silver Coin - 30,453 views
Jewish/Hebrew Coin/Round | Second Pentacle Of Mars Amulet - 30,327 views
1991 Error Quarter For $25,000 - 30,181 views

Honorable mention: 2017 P Effigy Mounds Quarter Error - only 29,992 views, but the thread was started in 2017 (and, for once, it seems to have been an actual error, though, again, not a particularly major one). With only ten more views it would have been the newest on the list (aside from this one obviously).

I vaguely recall a thread about some people who found a (low-grade) dollar from the 1790s that turned out to be real. I'm guessing it didn't get that many views.
Didn't expect the lack of avatar coin threads (as linked in signatures) either... even the J-Buck thread has under 15k views.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think we may have lost him.So sorry to have scared you off @larsjan.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
United States
6023 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sincerely hope Larsjan has not given up on CCF.

Determining authenticity on a coin like this may take many, many months. Any grading company that places their "authenticity guarantee" label on a coin like this wants to be 110% sure about it as they don't want to have to buy it off the market if it's later determined to be fake.

We just have to be patient.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1897 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2021  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That is why it is nice that my coin has the right composition, which in any case excludes a forgery in modern silver, but not automatically that the coin is genuine.
This will have to be determined by careful study of the stamps by various experts and comparison with the MHS specimen.
That is the path that has now been taken and will hopefully provide a definitive answer.

This is probably where we're at. MHS according to their website is still closed, and so there may be a problem getting physical access. Seems like they would also want to have at least one sixpence in hand, as the NE punch is the same. I'm sure Stacks has been down this road before but the logistics of getting experts and coins of this rarity together in one place must be very difficult. I'm sure @larsjan hasn't given up on us and he's disappeared for months before when there's nothing to report.

I wonder if PCGS would do the "holder optional" thing with this one like they're doing for the 1933 DE. I also wonder if Stacks/PCGS has control of the media splash, i.e. we won't hear if it's authenticated until a big press release. Seems like it's too late for the ANA auction, which already has significant rarities (1804 $1 for example), so will they hold off on media buzz to get a bigger splash later? The one thing I can be sure of is that it's not an obvious counterfeit or we would have known months ago.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess only time will tell.
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
302 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anxiously awaiting any news. If this turns out to be genuine (as I truly hope) we'll be seeing plenty of press on this from Stacks and all the numismatic media, but if the ultimate conclusion is it's counterfeit I do hope larsjan will come back and give us a wrap-up story on this fascinating journey.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2021  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time is passing by very fast and still no news, sigh.
Valued Member
Canada
225 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was once in'the same place' as is the OP. Stack's is no stranger to handling coins everyone else says "Counterfeit!", and with good results. They sold my Higley 1739 Broad Axe 3.1-D, whch was both ugly and unique as the day is long, and they sold it raw, it as part of their deLeon Sale in 2007. Stack's is the Right Place for the OP's item. The only dfference between the Higley and the OP's coin is that the dies for the Higley are both known-just not known used together. Someone(s), heavily enmeshed in the fabric of the Industry, will have to put their Stamp Of Approval on the OP's for it to be authenticated/graded/encapsulated. It would even "have legs" as a Contemporary Counterfeit, if that was the concensus. Consequently, either concensus is what you're waiting for...
Edited by whatdowehavehere
07/23/2021 12:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8336 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
whatdowehavehere - was that lot #352? If so wow that's a dream coin in a colonial collection along with a Sommer Islands Shilling and some of the New England Silver coinage.

I've been studying our US pre federal Colonial coinage for most of the Covid period as a way to kill time and stay indoors. Along the way I have found so many fascinating side avenues to delve into and the Higley coppers are certainly a very interesting one.

That is a superb example out of the known dozen or so even if it's only a fine, it's the harder of the two varieties and you can actually see details on the coin. Might I ask how you came to own such a neat piece? Another lucky find in a batch of old low value coins perhaps? Or possibly it purchased knowing it's historical value and importance already?

For those that don't know what a Higley copper is, I made a jpg out of the scanned Stack's May 22, 2007 Henry Leon Auction page, and tried to sharpen it as much as I could, to allow the lettering to be still read, the photo of the piece is already bungled from the scan into PDF, nothing I can do about that. This is an amazing piece, and as Stack's rightly mentions an above average coin from a unique die pairing.

EDIT: To add the lettering on the Higley reads; "Value me as you please" on the obverse and "I cut my way through" on the reverse, since it's not so clear in the photo nor description.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
07/23/2021 6:08 pm
Valued Member
Canada
225 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Westcoin, Thanks! That was a while ago... much like the OP's coin, it came from out of nowhere and through the door of a local Stamp & Coin shop (some of the Paper I bought from them: $50 LG Red Seal National, $20 LG Texas Red Sea small bank National, Arkansas brown back $20, pair Canada 1870 CU $1.00-and that's just some paper! Things are still around...). The owner asked if I knew what a Higley was. I used to be the EAC rep for the area, so, yeah... It was RedBook Good price to me. He let me take it home for a few hours, and the reason that I bought it is that I could not convince myself that it was counterfeit. No one or place saw it "that way", though. and the only people to not insult about it me were the Good Folk at Stack's.

I have a TON of empathy for the OP, but it's a seriously uphill climb to Genuiness, all the way to the top.Once you get there, though, the view is spectacular! I dunno if it'd rival the $29M the 1933 Saint just realized, but it'd sure be fun to watch it sell!
Edited by whatdowehavehere
07/23/2021 2:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8336 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I dunno if it'd rival the $29M the 1933 Saint just realized, but it'd sure be fun to watch it sell!

Technically it only sold for $18.8 million the $29 million was for the Saint, the plate block of 4 C3a Inverted Jenny stamps and the British Guiana One-Cent Black on Magenta Stamp all together.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auc...double-eagle

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auc...-plate-block

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auc...k-on-magenta
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Valued Member
Canada
225 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add whatdowehavehere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see the 1895-P BU Morgan that was said to briefly appear at the 1960 ANA convention in Boston. Supposedly, a little old man entered the bourse, showed it to a few people and then left before anyone could catch him. I heard this from more than one person who was there
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17480 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No one or place saw it "that way", though. and the only people to not insult about it me were the Good Folk at Stack's.

Too many people with the "If it's real why isn't it in a slab?" mentality.

I sometimes think a lot of these folks believe that on the day PCGS was born every genuine coin out there worth over $150 magically grew a plastic case around itself.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2355 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my corollary Conder. When I was younger I thought every coin I owned was the rare one.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
United States
8336 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  02:27 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I sometimes think a lot of these folks believe that on the day PCGS was born every genuine coin out there worth over $150 magically grew a plastic case around itself.

I'm getting just the opposite lately. I'm not trusting them as much as I did, I'm seeing way too many simple errors made by them. No way am I paying someone for an opinion on my US Mint bullion proof coin. Had a guy tell me the other day - "you really should get PCGS to slab all your ASE coins to make them more valuable"

Hope we hear from Larsjen sometime in the near future with some good news, I'm still cheering this one on to be the real deal!

Edited by westcoin
07/27/2021 02:28 am
Page: of 27 Previous TopicReplies: 395 / Views: 38,763Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05