Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1652 New England 3 Pence?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 122 / Views: 7,980Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar of the Community
United States
798 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2020  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a fascinating topic that I just saw a couple of days ago.

I am not into colonial coins at all, but I'm hooked on this story now and sure hope the coin turns out to be genuine.
Can't wait for "The rest of the story"

Thanks to CCF for providing a place of discovery!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1585 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The curator at the Massachusetts Historical Society was kind enough to respond to me, and I thank her. The "Boston coin" mentioned in the Yale catalogs is clearly the one from Appleton now in the MA collection.

@jimbucks, that 1871 journal has a lot of interesting tidbits. There were other "English Sales of American Coins", including NE threepence, listed on page 37-38. Where did these coins go?

Another journal item caught my attention - the collector interest in these coins back in 1767.

With collector interest comes counterfeiting, so I remain curious if there were any plates of the NE threepence prior to the ~1800 time frame, from which fakes could have been made. I'm clearly way out of my league digging into this stuff, which a real pro has probably already researched. But it's entertaining.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2020  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here a better image of the Ashmore III-Pence... BTW, he used the same NE stamp on the VI Pence too.
Enjoy

Pillar of the Community
United States
1585 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2020  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dug up the plate from "A Table of English Silver Coins" (1745, Martin Folkes), which required some tedious scrolling and loading. Indeed, the threepence is not pictured.

MHS curator was kind enough again to forward a link to the 1870 Appleton presentation to MHS of his complete set of NE pieces, here. The interesting thing is that sources Appleton mentions (Snelling, Ruding and Hutchinson, circa 1769?) have heard of the threepence but never seen one: "we are also told there was another sort struck with III, for three-pence, but we have never yet met with it in any cabinet". Crazy! This was over 100 years after they were minted.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2020  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More clues from this publication. http://numismatics.org/digitallibra...95/nnan24846
This shows the Mass historical society collection 3 pence

This plate shows "Wyatt's copies". Note the horizontal lines!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1585 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2020  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It probably doesn't add anything, but here is the plate from Thomas Snelling "Miscellaneous Views of the Coins Struck By English Princes in France...Those in the West India Colonies..." 1769. The NE shilling and sixpence look like they might be different coins than the 1745 Folkes plate, and don't seem to have the horizontal lines.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1585 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone heard any more about this coin?
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of those rare forum posts that causes a lot of excitement in the community. I wouldn't be surprised if many of us are waiting for L to respond and give us updates on his find.
Netherlands
24 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larsjan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another update, the coin should be picked up soon and brought to France for approval by PCGS. If it is genuine, it will be auctioned in America.
It all remains very exciting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7268 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the update. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when PCGS is examining that one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If real it will make major news within the collecting community.
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Thanks for the update! Awaiting the outcome.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1585 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be terrified, handing what could be a million dollars over to someone to take to France. I'm curious if you've vetted the experts who will evaluate it, i.e. American colonial expertise, in France? If it goes well, PCGS will hype the expletive out of it. If not, get another opinion. Thanks for the update.
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

hope it's real larsjan!
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 122 / Views: 7,980Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05