Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1928 Florin Grading Advice

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,182Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a good exercise for me, observing everyone's comments. Look forward to your sharing of the grade PCGS assigns.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
901 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevo1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Results are in and looks like PCGS got it right again

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2512 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fair dinkum, they may be right.

I can't speak for all of you, but it is REALLY hard to grade high grade Australian Florins, AU up is impossible. Especially when collectors like me are used to VF at best for the GV and earlier stuff and only having high grade for my G6 and E's.

Looking for UNC, should be no obvious wear to naked eye, the first spots I see are on the spines of the Roo and Emu, the very edges of the shield (And same for Kruger Grey Obverse) - this coin I thought I saw the slightest rubbing on the emu's beak and the star (The apex may have a light rub). Any obvious flattening in this area with a full shine is a high EF piece. Lighest rubbing on spines, beaks and stars is AU.

To me AU really is a smidgen below UNC and still fantastic (Any AU King George Florins you don't want - send them my way!).

The other problem I find with Aussie silver, mostly shilling and florin is you can have full lustre on VF pieces! and here in NZ I find cleaning is a common issue, many naive collectors get fooled by cleaned VG and Fine coins.

For the King, an UNC should have full and very sharp beads and pearls with no rubbing, for EF the second set of pearls should be clear and separate. For VF central diamond must be distinguishable from the two bands of the crown. For Fine, the full crown band must be visible (But not sharp).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
651 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The other problem I find with Aussie silver, mostly shilling and florin is you can have full lustre on VF pieces! and here in NZ I find cleaning is a common issue, many naive collectors get fooled by cleaned VG and Fine coins.

Full lustre is often artificial thou.,Dealers know what they can and can't get thru. PCGS/NGC.
A Oz Shilling or Florin that has spent a 100 years in a draw is almost always toned,nothing like what gets slabbed as genuine lustre these days.
Just my opinion.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18449 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is possible to have full luster in the fields of less than uncirculated Australian silver, but in this case, there won't be any on the high points, where wear may have occurred.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
651 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,but our local Dealer,he was from the old guard and wasn't a fan of slabbed Coins,was on about this 20 years ago,obviously 'dipped' Coins getting thru 3rd party graders.

https://www.PCGS.com/news/no-grade-coins-pt4
Edited by Basil
03/09/2021 05:11 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,182Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05