Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fourrée Coin - ID Help If Possible.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 243Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1290 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  09:27 am Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From my trays again.....
Interesting coin this one, its an obvious Fourrée and is quite untidy in appearance but its one I can remember keeping hold of because the bust is still sort of eligible and, I think, in its day would have been a very convincing coin.

If any of you guys can stick on it an identification of what it was supposed to be that would be great!

Many thanks,

Kevin.

5.34 grams & 23 mm. Silver over base metal.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4907 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thought based on that mug is Ptolemaic - but which Ptolemy, I don't know...maybe II? Very light for a tet, but then a corroded base core would be. On the other hand, maybe a didrachm. For comparison:
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/zu...Default.aspx
Edited by Bob L
04/05/2020 10:13 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1290 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  10:27 am  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Bob. Its just one of those coins that although rough, just had to keep it.
I am having a pause in the sorting of the trays as I have pulled out a few that need the toothpick clean so that should kill a few days for me. Thanks again, Kevin.
Learn More...
United States
22983 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What remains of the bust image does look like one of the Ptolemy's. Beyond that ID is going to be a best guess to which one.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1290 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ron.
I have put a label on him now, just Ptolemy Kingdom for now.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 243Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05