Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Die State For Pc59-15

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 260Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
793 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  1:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The die state of this coin doesn't fit into either State 4 or state 5 but should fall into a die state between the two.
The die crack at leaf 16 has branched off which indicates state 5 however in State 5 there should also be a die crack at leaf 10. No D/C at leaf 10 on this coin
The PCM running through the "1" in the date and around the "E" in ONE on this coin shows 3 PCM which fit neither state 4 that has two or state 5 having 4 PCM.
The die crack at leaf 16 branched off before the fourth die clash and before the D/C at leaf 10.
I would not be surprised if the D/C at leaf 10 was the direct result of the fourth clash.
Note there are some small lamination issues with this coin that may appear like a D/C but are not.
Example "O" in ONE and to the stem of leaf 11.

Cheers, Bill

Edited by Hounddog Bill
04/05/2020 1:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2936 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's a "PCM"?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
793 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is terminology and abbreviation used on Dr. Haxby site.
PCM = Portrait Clash Mark.
D/C was used for Die Crack so PCM was used to avoid confusion I would think.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
792 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good work Bill!

You found state 4.5 with 3 PCM's (portrait clash marks). Since state 4 had 2 PCM's and state 5 had 4, there had to be one somewhere with 3. I will put this on my list of things to update in the catalog.

Quote:
I would not be surprised if the D/C at leaf 10 was the direct result of the fourth clash.

I expect you are right about that. I believe a lot of die cracks were caused by clashed dies.

Valued Member
Canada
425 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here I come to muddy the waters more. I have a #15, unc. details, that also has the cracks at leaves 7-13-16, but no crack on 10. The states of the 3 cracks on mine look to be 4-4-5.
The cracks in the circle are already evident on mine, both through OC from the state 5 description, and through the E-EN-8 from the state 6 description. I find no die crack at leaf 2, but there is a tiny spot by leaf 5 which may be the start of a crack. You can also see there are 2 cracks from the E of ONE to the N.
1 coin, 3 states .
On my coin, the die clash at the 1 has 4 impressions and at the E, I can make out 3, with a tiny little mark of the 4th only at the foot. The lines are very tiny and delicate. I think Bill's coin was struck after the 4th clash line; as more coins were struck, the 4th line got pounded flat from usage and only 3 were left. After that, the crack from the 8 continued into leaf 10 and the same E-EN-8 crack continued up into leaf 2.

Edited by TerryT
04/05/2020 6:54 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 260Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05