Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1838 Large Cent Variety Look

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 234Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2851 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  1:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think this LC is an N-11 since I can see most of the PUPs except for one. I'll post a close-up of it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2851 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am looking for the same short die scratch from the top right corner of the 'E' to the corona line on both coins. IMO my 'E's width is diminished from corrosion on the right side of the 'E' making the somewhat darker scratch/bump not appear over the top corner surface of the 'E'.

Do the other features on both sides of the coin seem to support an N-11?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16534 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it has the broken right upright of the N in CENT and that is the key. That rev is on N-11/13, 15, and 16. On 15 and 16 the ie is worn to the point that the dentcals were gone. Yours still shows the dentical clearly so if the N upright is broken it is N-11/13 (N-1 and N-13 are two different die stages of the same variety, without and with the obv cud. Yours has no cud so if the upright is broken it's N-11.)

Here is a high grade N-11 so you can see what the upright is like. Also note that the N in ONE is similar.

Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
04/09/2020 1:25 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 234Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05