Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Does The Xxi Represent.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 380Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1290 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  09:24 am Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this nice Antoninianus of Maximianus, what does the lettering in the exergue mean? Is it a reference to office or something to do with silver content or similar?
I am presuming the H above the exergue is for the Heraclea mint...

Many thanks,
Kevin.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8626 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  09:40 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin (can we see the obverse too?

See RIC V 621 for a similar Victory on globe reverse but with a different legend - yours is IOVI CONSERVATORI AVGG
The XXI is the denomination or value mark (20:1 ratio of bronze to silver by a common interpretation, cf. Doug Smith)

Regards

Edit: corrected Officina H not Heraclea -- thanks Sap!!
I call that a pre-coffee mistake!!
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
04/09/2020 12:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3076 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver content - traditionally interpreted as 20 (XX) parts copper to one (I) part silver (this means roughly .047 silver content, or very low grade billon).
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1290 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  09:46 am  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that, and sorry, here is the other side :-
22mm & 4.7grams.

Learn More...
Australia
13323 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"H" is not short for Heraclea - they hadn't yet invented the first-letter-of-the-city-name concept of a mintmark when this coin was made. H is the Greek numeral 8, meaning the eighth officina (minting-house within the city). Exactly which city isn't stated on the coin; we need to rely on archaeological evidence to know the city of origin is Antioch.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1290 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:23 am  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Sap. I wasn't sure on that point I just presumed.
This is why I like CCF so much, you learn every time you log on!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1733 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2020  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is more to this story.

So we know we have XXI as a value mark and whether it is 20:1 ratio or 21 as a value is still debated.

Let me focus in on Tacitus:-

Here is a normal Antioch with XXI:-

They also produced Doublevalue coins with XI rather than XXI

On some issues the value mark was represented in Greek letters i.e. KA

(This coins from Serdica for illustration)

Tripolis produced a double value coin with IA

Regards,
Martin
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1290 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2020  09:06 am  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting stuff Martin, thank you for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1290 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  05:13 am  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got this Diocletian as well, which mint would this be from please?

Thanks, Kevin.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05