Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are Some Of The Most Underappreciated And Undervalued Foreign Coins?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 5,437Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3153 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins of Tonga, Samoa and the Cook Islands, all have low numbers and are relatively cheap. Many years you have mintages of under 1 million down to a few thousand.

For silver coins, that offer bang for your buck, you can't go past Fiji to 1946 - low mintages, eye pleasing designs and VF coins of most Florins are $20 or less.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
506 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2020  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacific Island coins are relatively cheap but you would need collectors in the future to have interest in these regions
for the prices to spike.

Even for China collectors who pay top dollar for their own coinage, they are only interested in China coinage. Coins from their neighbours
like Taiwan , Japan, Vietnam attract little interest from them.

And looking at the lifestyle of the Pacific Islanders, collecting coinage doesn't seem top of their agenda.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2393 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2020  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
French Louis XVIII and Charles X branch mint silver is undervalued at any price IMO. The problem is finding any.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2429 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2020  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to buy Tibetan Ga-den Tanka's at around 4 each. Now I see them going for 25 which is quite a jump in 20 years or so. But I suspect that ship has also sailed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2020  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A long time ago, it was possible to find pre-1961 Soviet and Imperial Russian coins in coin lots on a regular basis.
Not anymore.
Despite this, the prices in Krause IMO are quite low.

One thing I will say is, the prices for the 1911-26 pennies are a bit high IMO. $1 for a Fine-graded coin?
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2020  09:09 am  Show Profile   Check beem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to let you all know another coin on my own personal list.

1973 - 1979 Liberia 5 Dollars
https://www.NGCcoin.com/price-guide...duid-1441772
https://www.NGCcoin.com/price-guide...duid-1441948

I've never seen the 1973 non-Proof coin (mintage of 500), so can't say much there, but even the proof coins I think are quite underappreciated. They are large coins, proof, eye-appealing, silver, and all now 40+ years old.

Mintages:
1973 Proof 28,000
1974 Proof 20,000
1975 Proof 9,017
1976 Proof 3,683
1977 Proof 1,640
1978 Proof 7,311
1979 Proof 1,857

The more common dates sell for 3-6 dollars over their silver value, there's just so little room for demand to fall, there's nowhere else for them to go but up. The lower mintage dates noted above do sell for a premium, but if I find them for a decent price (30-40 dollars or so), I gobble them up quickly if they're in good shape. The NGC and PCGS populations for these are small, particularly for the scarcer dates. However, I believe PF69 and PF70 grades for even the more common dates should, at some point in time, demand quite the premium. Of course, this is all just my own opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9586 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2020  03:08 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The zinc Allied Occupation of Germany coins issued from 1945 to 1948 don't have huge catalog values, but in all my years of collecting I have never encountered one of these coins in a dealer's junk tray, and hardly seen any for sale at all, even though there were lots of British troops in Germany at the time they were circulating and I'd have expected some to have ended up in the UK.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
3153 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2020  05:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numister - well this Pacific Islander disagrees on your comments about our lifestyles and the value.

The fact they are cheap is good for me as I can get quality at a good price.
Quite a lot of us brown people do collect coins and stamps.

Notice the last four letters in my name - That's my real first name and its a Maori word meaning "Man" and "God of the Forest".

Back on topic, I think early (1928 - 1945) Irish coins are way undervalued too. The simple but effective animal images and the fact the Shillings/Florins and Half crowns before 1946 have a good silver content (75%) make them eminently collectable. VF/EF coins cost me no more than $20 - $25.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CurrencyLooker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe Newfoundland coins to be extremely undervalued, most have low mintages and even the 1947's silver coins with mintage around 20K can still be sourced for a few dollars but are hard to find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2393 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While it is not really valuable because it is drilled and plugged, this Newfie gold $2 is a keeper bought for melt price. I like the way they rhymed cents and pence, eh.

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
05/25/2020 1:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1713 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that we have been for more than a year in a "Numismatic Mania", are there any good buys left or is everything bid into the stratosphere and it is time to sell?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Newfoundland coins have not gone up in value. They have been undervalued for decades, or so people think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4363 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins from Portugal seem to be fairly priced.
Valued Member
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2021  08:19 am  Show Profile   Check beem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add beem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now that we have been for more than a year in a "Numismatic Mania", are there any good buys left or is everything bid into the stratosphere and it is time to sell?

It is definitely more difficult but there are still quality coins which are still underappreciated and undervalued.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19247 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A large part of my collection is comprised of World coins.
U.S. British, European and Australian coins take their equal part in it.

For me, one of the most under appreciated coins is the
U.S BLP Indian $5 Half Eagle:
the unique, very distinctive design shared with the similar Quarter Eagle.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 60 / Views: 5,437Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: