Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would You Consider This 1884 Vicky Cent A Double Die?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 847Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
252 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2020  3:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I sent this coin to ICCS for certification without asking for clarification, and it came back MS64 red, which is fine, but please check the pictures. All the hair, all the jewels, The topmost ribbon and even the eyelids are clearly doubled. Help me out here.Is this a double die?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3839 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2020  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just going by the end of the ribbon in the magnified photo above, I think that it is a DD. But it has so many things involved, maybe hub-doubled. I really can't see everything all together.
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2020  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. I couldn't pull off a decent picture showing all the doubling, so chose to take separate pictures. The one that shows the band holding the hair together is good. If you check any vicky, all the edges and design in the band are single lines. On this coin, all lines are doubled, as is each strand of hair, and the jewels. then it's easier to see in the other pictures. In the meantime, I will try again to come up with a successful picture showing it all. It's an odd one, though. Sorry about the upside down eye.
Pillar of the Community
United States
919 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2020  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that looks like doubling on the obverse die. US collectors usually call that hub doubling. Canadian collectors usually call it punch doubling. It's the same thing, just a difference in what terms are used.

Nice coin yontan! I will have to keep an eye out for one of those.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3839 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2020  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rats! I just looked through 47 1884's and didn't find a single one like yours.
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first I was inclined to agree with Phil that it might be an ordinary form of hub doubling, but after checking Wexlers varieties, it seems to be a class IV double die, as only central elements are included. Typing in Wexlers Varieties will take one to the home page. anyone think it is worth re-slabbing as a double die? Thanks for your input.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3839 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't pay to have it recert'd. You'd never get your money back. I think that Canadian collectors look for D/D's on older coins that have some offset or involve the dates. I don't think that there would be a whole lot of interest in this being TPG'd as a variety.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 847Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05