Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Twelve Olympian Gods.

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 813Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1817 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2020  05:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone....
I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying researching these coins. It has allowed me to encounter ancient cities and coin types that before I didn't even know existed...Great fun...

Quote:
Looks like you might be going for matching patinas for your set as well

More luck than intent Doucet...I really like the look of your set with various colourings and I have a couple of coins that I'll probably go for that have a lovely brown patina so lets see...I think one of my main criterias for the aesthetics of the set is the size..I'm trying to keep the diameters as close as possible..
BTW..Very nice Zeus coin..It's from Cilicia Aigeai yes? Thanks for sharing..

Quote:
The Greek gods (and goddesses) can be found on the numerous Roman provincial coinage.

Great looking coin Masis!.....Are all 12 portrayed on Roman coins? Neat idea....
You got me searching through my Roman collection and I have 4...
Cyprus
24 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add micha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice and interesting project Palouche!
Hades was also included in some areas as one of the 12 gods, Persephone as well, sometimes Hebe etc.
I have a Hera coin from Sicily, Thermai Himerensis, not the best quality and needs some cleaning. Is for sale at my ebay store and I can make a better price if you want it, but I think I'm not allowed to post the link.
I also have a very nice looking Poseidon coin from Krannon, Thessaly.
Anyway, is not about to makes sales is about help with the project and I find it very interesting project and idea.
Maybe I will start a similar about the Nymphs for the long run.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1817 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  01:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice and interesting project Palouche!

Thanks....Yes as to the differences in the accredited lists, I'll stick to these 12 to start but will add others once It's completed.
I also like the idea of the same reverse deities on Roman coins in silver(maybe) to complement the portrait set but I still haven't checked if all 12 are available?....

Quote:
Maybe I will start a similar about the Nymphs for the long run.

Sounds interesting...In my search I've come across a lot of coins attributed to Nymphs some named others not.
Is there an actual list of Nymphs that can be found on coins?

I don't know which is your ebay shop and I cant pm you as you don't accept mails...
...Paul
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16950 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good numismatic step into ancient Greek culture.
I developed an interest in ancient Greek coins from the opposite direction.
Cyprus
24 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add micha to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Palouche,

About my store for Hera and Poseidon coins try the following search and you will find them
A0053 Ancient Greek, Sicily, Thermai Himerensis AE13mm Hera / Herakles Rare
A0139 Ancient Greek, Krannon, Thessaly AE15mm Poseidon / Horseman galloping
You can message me on ebay and we can arrange a special deal if you are interested in anything.

Greek is my mother language and I'm very familiar with Greek Mythology with a special interest in Nymphs. The number of Nymphs is high in general and local Nymphs make that number very high. Also there is not a list with Nymphs on coins as far I know, not even a completed list of normal Nymphs as many are unnamed.

From your starting list with the 12, Hestia was at the basic form instead of Dionysos. Dionysos, was a semi-god, his mother, princess Semeli, was mortal, he was the youngest of the gods and very popular.
The "12 Olympians" as idea with number was created at the 16-17th century. At the ancient times was just the "Olympians" gods.

Some Goddess that are also very interesting are Cybele, Hecate and Nyx.
Anyway, you can't include them all, you will end up with 20+ Olympian gods :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1817 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks sel_69l.....I started off collecting primarily ancient Roman and Eastern/Indian coinage but had always been intrigued by the postings of Greek coins. They confused the heck out of me and so stayed well clear until my son showed me a project he was working on at school to do with Mythological Gods of Greece and asked for some help...And so it started...

Quote:
I developed an interest in ancient Greek coins from the opposite direction.

I'm intrigued?....What is the opposite direction?

Thanks micha I'll take a look when I can but hasten to add that at the moment due to the obvious situation we are all facing I'm only buying from sellers a stones throw away....

Quote:
From your starting list with the 12, Hestia was at the basic form instead of Dionysos
Yes I did realise this but I decided on Dionysos due to the abundance of coins...Whereas when initially searching for Hestia I came up with a big blank!?

Does anyone know of Greek bronze coins depicting a portrait of Hestia?...There are Roman coins portraying the Roman equivalent 'Vesta' albeit on the reverse in full body form, so it does seem strange that Hestia, Goddess of the hearth, fire, family and domesticity and so easily accepted by the average mortal person, would have been denied a coin depicting her portrait!?..
Any thoughts?.....

Quote:
Also there is not a list with Nymphs on coins as far I know, not even a completed list of normal Nymphs as many are unnamed.

In my searches for the principal gods a few Nymphs always pop up Arethusa, Ida and Himera to mention a few so it could be an interesting and fun theme to collect?....

Quote:
Some Goddess that are also very interesting are Cybele, Hecate and Nyx.
Anyway, you can't include them all, you will end up with 20+ Olympian gods :)
....OOooh yes I can........Once my base 12 are completed I will continue with others as I do find this Mythological theme Fascinating, after all Mount Olympus is big enough to house a few more...
Pillar of the Community
United States
534 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add augustus1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a coin of Greek Italy, city of Venusia in Apulia, with the veiled head of Hera.

22 mm. 8.24 grams.
Veiled head of Hera left, VE under chin, three dots behind.
three crescents back to back, 8-pointed star in each, pellet in the middle.

Sear Greek 598 "268-217 BC" BMC Italy page 152, 24. Rutter HN Italy 721 (as "Juno", the Italian equivalent of the Greek Hera)
My educational sites: http://augustuscoins.com/ed/
My coins for sale: http://augustuscoins.com/
My ancient-coin literature for sale: http://augustuscoins.com/numislit.html
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1817 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a coin of Greek Italy, city of Venusia in Apulia, with the veiled head of Hera.

Nice looking coin and seems to have a lovely apple green patina, Thanks for sharing...
I did have a look at these coins from Venusia but they can be a bit expensive I do like the simplistic reverse design though.....Paul
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 813Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05