Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First US Bank Notes

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 228 / Views: 6,544Next Topic
Page: of 16
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49399 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He looks kind of dour in most images of him I can find.
Learn More...
United States
88550 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Next one, why is William Meredith so grumpy? Was he having a bad day, did he want to be on a 25 cent note? The world may never know.
Nice example!
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No Prozac back in the day.
Probably not that interesting, but these 5th Issue series (except for the 50 cent) say "Columbian Bank Note Co" on the back and "Engraved and Printed at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing" on the front. Apparently, the Bureau actually did the fronts and the company printed the backs. The 4th issue was outsourced, so many say "National Bank Note Co" but the 15 cent and 50 cent with Stanton say "American Bank Note Co." Similarly, for the 1st Issue series, NBC did the front and ABC did the backs. The 2nd and 3rd issues were done internally by the Treasury Department. A few years after this note was printed, Congress made it so all banknotes would be produced internally. With the market gone, all these companies eventually merged and turned to printing money orders, foreign currency, travelers checks, and other security paper documents.
That's my Cliff Clavin impression for the day.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@captain coffee,

Thank you for the history lesson!! I love this forum in that one learns so much. I reciprocate with a single origin espresso (and a jelly krispy kreme donut).

And thank you @Steve O!

I never realized that they changed the inscription in 1928 and the seal in years later than 1963.

Edited by hfjacinto
06/30/2020 12:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All,

While I thanked @Stever and @El Capitan del Cafe there are a few others that I appreciate all the advice given, including the @Posion Dart of the currency world, a certain @Hairy Rodent that climbs trees, an @Ike aficionado and @snaidhm Cheilteac that always gives props!!

Thank you all!

Edited by hfjacinto
06/30/2020 1:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got this one in the mail. My first large United States Note.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49399 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice example. It's great to watch your collection grow!
Learn More...
United States
88550 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just got this one in the mail. My first large United States Note.
Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having the 1917 $2 US note DEMANDS having the 1917 $1 US note alongside it in your album. Of course, this kind of logic sets you down a path...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Having the 1917 $2 US note DEMANDS having the 1917 $1 US note alongside it in your album. Of course, this kind of logic sets you down a path...

Why u "bullying" me
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since @captaincoffee "bullied" me, I had to go out and get a $1 United States Note. Before Covid, I had found a few notes that I wanted from my LCS. This was one. After 12 weeks they finally opened up. I picked up the fractional currency first, but wasn't sure on the price for this one. I reached out to a few of the collectors on here for feedback and was told to negotiate the price, which I did. This was marked as VF, but after looking at it, I think its more an XF (do you all agree?). I actually picked up a few days ago, but am trying to post 1 note a day (not to spam the forum). So what do you think?

Edited by hfjacinto
07/03/2020 3:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1562 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice paper,
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice note...it looks very similar to mine. I'd call mine VF35 if I had to put a grade on it, but I'm no expert. Grading is really hard with pictures of banknotes. Mine avoided the common tri-fold, but has a partial horizontal fold, a corner ding, etc.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2756 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  03:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A popular large-size note. Many were saved and it's readily available in all grades. Mine has the Tehee/Burke signatures used at the beginning and the OP's note along with CC's note have the Speelman/White signatures, used at the end.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49399 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This basic design for the $1 Legal Tender, first used in the "Rainbow" series of 1869, was in continuous production for the better part of 60 years.
Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 228 / Views: 6,544Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05