Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First US Bank Notes

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 235 / Views: 6,885Next Topic
Page: of 16
Pillar of the Community
United States
2145 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2145 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My latest. This is the 25 cent from the 4th issue of fractional currency. These were issued from 7/14/1869 to 2/16/1875. The 4th issue is my favorite. I'm currently for a 15 cent Columbia and the 3 50 cents also issued. But they will be long term acquisitions. I still have a few notes on my list for purchase before I get the rest of the series.

This note is F1301 which has the large red seal and the watermarked paper with pink fibers.

Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My latest. This is the 25 cent from the 4th issue of fractional currency.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2145 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up a First Issue, Postage Currency. Postage (or postal) currency was the first of five issues of fractional paper money printed in 5-cent, 10-cent, 25-cent, and 50-cent denominations and was issued from 21 August 1862 through 27 May 1863. The treasury secretary (Spinner) proposed using postage stamps, affixed to Treasury paper, with his signature on the bottom. Based on this initiative, Congress supported a temporary solution involving fractional currency and on 17 July 1862 President Lincoln signed the Postage Currency Bill into law.

The design of the First Issue (postage currency) was directly based on Spinner's original handmade examples. Some varieties even had a perforated stamp-like edge. While not considered a legal tender, postage currency could be exchanged for United States Notes in $5 lots and were receivable in payment of all dues to the United States, up to $5. The below is the 10 cent from the 1st issue. This note F1242 which has a straight edge and the printing company monogram.

Edited by hfjacinto
07/13/2020 3:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2145 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jbuck...

I was going to post a new note today as it was scheduled today out for delivery. The mail came early and when I check the mailbox no note. So I go back to check tracking and it now says "In Transit to Next Facility".

That means tomorrow, or next week. Sadly I wait
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. Collecting perforated examples from the first series are one of my nearer-term mini-projects.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2145 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS has been sooooo slow lately. Below was my last set of notes. It took 6 days to go from Newark to Kearny, they are next to each other.... Well I got a package, pictures are coming. I'll do one at a time so for the next few days I'll post. I found an LCS that also has lots of notes, I picked up 1 from there so I'll post that one also.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2145 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might as well show the package I got. Did I tell you I love cool stamps. You'll notice 1 Lucille Ball in addition to Frida Kahlo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2145 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets start off with fractional currency. This 10 cent note is from the Third Issue which was produced from December 5, 1864 to August 16, 1869. The 3rd issue was the largest in number of pieces, face values and number of denominations issued.

As CaptainCoffee stated the 10 cent note doesn't say cents.The 3 cent is unique to the 3rd issue. I had ordered the 3 cents but it was sold out, so I took this as an alternate.

Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hfjacinto, congrats on another fractional.
I took a look at Allen's website, but there are no pictures of any of the bills that I can see, just what grade they believe it is. Did you buy all these bills without knowing how they would look, or am I stupid and just can't figure out the website. I'm interested in a note or two I see there, but "VF" doesn't give me quite enough info to shell out hundreds on a note. I'd be very happy with a "VF" note that arrived looking like your 1917 $1, but I'm sure there are some with a lot less eye appeal as well. Any thoughts/advice?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2145 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2020  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CaptainCoffee, I purchased almost all my notes site unseen. Yes its a risk, but I call up and ask the sales person the condition. I pretty much made a list based on my discussion with the sales person, but I will state they grade conservatively and their prices are probably the best I can find. If there is a note you like ask to speak to the salesperson (I use Doug and recommend him).

The 1917 I picked up locally that one I did not get from Alan's.
Edited by hfjacinto
07/18/2020 10:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2145 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2020  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up an Obsolete Note also, most have plain backs but this one is ornate.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49487 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've gotten very serious about this very quickly!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2763 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2020  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be the first time I've seen the same same vignette used twice on the face of a note....love the livestock.
Page: of 16 Previous TopicReplies: 235 / Views: 6,885Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05