Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My US Bank Note Type Set

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 657 / Views: 28,714Next Topic
Page: of 44
Pillar of the Community
United States
3542 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2021  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@el capitan de cafe! Great information, heck I want a $2 educational and it's under $14k.

Sadly no more really high priced notes until I complete the 7070. I'm looking for a Justice fractional next and then the Lincoln. I've found both but the Lincoln is just below the grade I want.

I have 2 star notes on my radar the seller can't find them though, he hasn't sold them just doesn't know which pile they are in.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58404 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2021  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice $2 LT with the signature of Blanche K. Bruce. This scan from an old machine that was on its last legs - actually a very bright specimen-

Edited by Coinfrog
04/29/2021 7:59 pm
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To stabilize the economy and correct the country's financial troubles, Alexander Hamilton proposed an idea for a national bank.
If we assume the debts, the union gets new line of credit, a financial diuretic
How do you not get it, if we're aggressive and competitive
The union gets a boost, you'd rather give it a sedative?

Oh, wait, where were we?

Quote:
Today's note is a Continental Currency.
Fantastic example
Pillar of the Community
United States
3542 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No big write up. Today's note is a 1953A Star Silver Certificate. So what are "star" notes? (Yes I know you all know, but we aim to teach here).

A Star Note is a replacement banknote that is printed to replace a faulty one and is used as a control mechanism for governments or monetary authorities to know the exact number of banknotes printed. Theoretically, since no two serial numbers can be the same, the bill is simply reprinted with a symbol in the serial number, identifying it as a replacement for an error.

Considering this a replacement look, looking at the way this was cut, I really wonder what the original looked like.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by hfjacinto
04/30/2021 10:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3542 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The above is also really cool if your birthday is 3/7/2018
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58404 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly my thought!
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No big write up. Today's note is a 1953A Star Silver Certificate.
Good enough for me. Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonjrl1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Peel apart mailers are GREAT for coins, terrible for paper money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3542 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Peel apart mailers are GREAT for coins, terrible for paper money.

Ok and what does that have to do with this thread?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3951 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A Star Note is a replacement banknote that is printed to replace a faulty one and is used as a control mechanism for governments or monetary authorities to know the exact number of banknotes printed. Theoretically, since no two serial numbers can be the same, the bill is simply reprinted with a symbol in the serial number, identifying it as a replacement for an error.

This is not true. I believe Swartz and Oakes small size currency book describes it if I'm not mistaken.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3542 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it's not true if there is a thread on duplicate serial numbers, but like you posted above the serial number "theoretically" should be different, they should be unique. The 2 serial numbers you posted are NOT the same. One is J0000088A, the other is J0000088* these are not the same number each is unique.

I'll throw in the caveat, read it here but no 2 serial numbers should be exact.

https://www.moneyfactory.gov/resour...numbers.html

The serial numbers "should" be unique!
Edited by hfjacinto
04/30/2021 7:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3542 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do kind of wish my Stanton $1 was a Bruce note. The guy is amazing, and I'd like to start picking up notes with his signature when possible. I'll just copy/paste some of the words from this CCF post http://goccf.com/t/393168

I'm a little slow... my Stanton is a Bruce note... duh...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3542 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to the Parsippany Coin Show on Sunday. While we had to wait in line to get in there were several dealers at the show. Like the Melville Coin Show, the selection was limited but I did end up getting 2 items, I didn't need either, but didn't want to walk out empty handed. I most likely will skip the shows for a few months until we get different vendors/items.

A little learning.

US Notes were issued for both the large and small series, they were issued from Series 1862 till Series 1966 (the $100 US Note was the last US Note issued), the last printing occurred in 1971. At 109 Years the US Notes were the longest issued, US Notes were the first Legal Tender not backed by specie, the first fiat currency.

Currently the Federal Reserve Notes are still being issued and from the first issue in 1913, they will take over as the longest issued on 2023.

Today's Note is a replacement note of the $5 -1963 United States Notes. 

Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Today's Note is a replacement note of the $5 -1963 United States Notes.
Fantastic!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58404 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharp star, great color!
Page: of 44 Previous TopicReplies: 657 / Views: 28,714Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05