Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My US Bank Note Type Set

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 663 / Views: 30,444Next Topic
Page: of 45
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1357 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm well aware that it is a mental health issue...I spend far more time and energy searching for the notes than the relatively small amount of money I eventually save with my "deal." But for whatever reason, that's how I enjoy doing it.

Man, it's good to know I'm not the only one!
One of my most enjoyable coin shows I attended was when I met like-minded collectors. We all laughed at ourselves & a couple shook their heads (the guys with deep pockets & eyes for TPG Gems only). These guys kept telling us time is money! For us guys on a budget: it wasn't just about the note, though we got into some arguments over quality/centred, etc., but it was the thrill of the hunt (for the next acquisition) that we all enjoyed about the hobby.
Edited by walk2dwater
05/21/2021 08:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I plan these purchase out and then my LCS calls me and tells me he has X and if I want X I can get it at Y, and I'm there and I don't need X but at Y price why not :)
Valued Member
United States
443 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My LCS only has a small amount of banknotes (nothing I need) and they are all priced at double the catalog, so that really isn't an option for me. If I had a LCS with a good selection and pricing (and was tolerable to people), I'm sure I'd pick up unplanned notes as well.
I'll attend my first coin show in a couple years in July. It will be interesting to see if I can get anything for a reasonable price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll attend my first coin show in a couple years in July. It will be interesting to see if I can get anything for a reasonable price.

I recently attended my first 2 this year, lots of stuff I liked but prices where much higher than I liked.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1357 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My LCS only has a small amount of banknotes (nothing I need) and they are all priced at double the catalog,

-that's been my experience. The only thing I liked about a few of our LCS was that typically, staff were appallingly slow re: banknotes (most knew coins inside & out, but clueless towards currency). Rarely a deal could be had. Normally, prices were out of touch with reality (like eBay didn't exist) so bought mostly supplies (sleeves/binder pages or catalogues) to save on postage.

Quote:
I recently attended my first 2 this year, lots of stuff I liked but prices where much higher than I liked.

Shows are generally awful too for picking up notes (again, I go for the supplies or to catch up with a few collector acquaintances). I enjoy chatting with the odd dealer but a few of them (the straight-shooters) have since passed on.

True story: on my 2nd or 3rd show in TO (Torex about 10 years ago) I met with a collector to purchase a fairly rare 1954 $2.00 replacement. While inspecting & paying for this note I learned that he worked for Canadian Security Intelligence Service (that's like our CIA). While I was discovering this, a guy approached us to sell one of his really cool error $50 Journey banknotes. I had to pass as I was blowing my budget on the 1954 replacement but the CSIS guy bought one. I just wish I had more money at the time since it was a good buy (but I was tapped out).
Pillar of the Community
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't posted in a while, but a few days ago one of my dealers text me to tell me he got in a few low cost graded notes. And who doesn't love low cost graded notes ?

Let's start off with the package..

And we have lots of stamps of John Hanson and you ask (well I asked) who is John Hanson. John Hanson was born on April 14 and died on 1721 - November 15, 1783. He was a merchant and public official from Maryland during the American Revolution. In 1779, Hanson was elected as a delegate to the Continental Congress after serving in a variety of roles for the Patriot cause in Maryland. He signed the Articles of Confederation in 1781 after Maryland joined the other states in ratifying them. In November 1781, he was elected as first President of the Confederation Congress (sometimes styled President of the United States in Congress assembled), following ratification of the articles. For this reason, some of Hanson's biographers have argued that he was actually the first holder of the office of President of the United States.

Stamps and notes and coin, a window to our past history and the note.

Its a 1934 A $5 silver certificate. Its a pretty common note with over 656 million printed. I also tend to disagree with the grade as to me this is an EF45.

Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Quote:
And we have lots of stamps of John Hanson and you ask (well I asked) who is John Hanson...
Love the history lesson.
Valued Member
United States
443 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another nice add. It is CGA, so of course you have to subtract some points to get to the real grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4845 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

@captaincoffee: The one show I typically go to each year, the Bay State Coin Show here in Massachusetts, typically has a ton of great notes in all different grades and prices. Most of the better notes in my collection came from there, in fact.

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59478 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickup, Helder!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3256 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, nice addition Helder. I don't have a problem at all buying CGA graded notes if I'm able to view them in person.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's note is a 1935A series Silver Certificate. SC were issued from 1878 till 1963 and were last redeemed for silver on June 25, 1968. As the price of silver was rising the last year untold millions of SC's were redeemed at profit for silver. While still legal lender, these are only exchangeable for Federal Reverse Notes.

Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3680 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I purchased 2 more slabbed notes, one is going to be used for a contest, so it won't be mine in the future. But you do have today's which is the last issue of Silver Certificates, these along with the United States notes (red seal) were the end of an era, now all we have are Federal Reserve Notes. At one time the US in small series had:
Gold Certificates
National Bank Notes
Federal Reserve Bank Notes
Federal Reserve Notes in amounts up to $10,000
United State Notes
Silver Certificates

Learn More...
United States
102171 Posts
Page: of 45 Previous TopicReplies: 663 / Views: 30,444Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05